Ratings from the 70's

• Members

ABC's 90-minute 1:30-3 p.m. EST game show block was better counterprogramming than I realized. That's a rather tight race at 2 p.m. among DOOL, The Newlywed Game and TGL. Also, notice that all but one of these shows in the top 12 were at least six years old (if we count Let's Make a Deal on ABC as a continuation of the NBC run).

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm so glad you brought up clarity. Let's have some. I avoid you & your turf because you let me know for some unknown reason that you cannot stand me & treat me as badly as one can in public. This is me, trying to protect myself from you, by staying out of your way. It's your deal. You came up with it.

• Members

The rise started in late 1978 and 1979 with All My Children hitting No. 1 for the 78/79 season with GH a close second and increased further in 79 and 80. All My Children was an important and vital show to ABC's success than. Most people credit GH but it is AMC. GH did not have the competition of AMC vs. Y & R.

Edited by JoeCool

• Members

Yeah, 1978-1979 AMC was #1 with 9.0, GH just behind at second/8.7, Y&R pulling up third/8.6. NBC was always envious of ABC because of ALL of their soaps & because they were network-owned. NBC was more envious of ABC than CBS. Weird but true. And, it's true that GH gets a disproportionate amount of ink & glory compared to AMC. NBC never felt they had power spread over their soaps, instead having one leader. I give you my favorite quotes. Hope you enjoy.

When CBS announced the cancellation of ATWT & GL, it was the end of the sponsor-owned soap, no more tie to radio, to P&G, to Irna, etc. Truly it was the end of an era. (HER STORIES, 235) 

When AMC & OLTL were cancelled the network ownership model was almost at an end. Only GH was left. On CBS only the Bells'. 4 soaps left. (HER STORIES, 285)

When DOOL left the broadcast network NBC for the streaming service Peacock on Sept. 12, 2022, only 2 broadcast networks continued to have soaps. NBC replaced DOOL at 1 pm eastern with another hour of NBC News.

• Members

I don't know which week these ratings represent. It was in the May, 1978 issue of Daytime TV and all they said was these are the latest ratings as we went to press. Who knows when they went to press for that issue. At least a couple months before.

I'm sure the YOU know this Joe, Doug Marland was LONG gone from GH in 1980. So for another poster to credit him for the huge rise of GH in 1980 is just wrong. That person is consistently incorrect and does not research facts. It's annoying. Anyway, happy to provide FACTS. 

• Members

One thing about AMC that I got a kick out of. Talk of cancellation had come up about GH, 1977 first. Daytime VP Jackie Smith went to Agnes for advice when she began to put together a GH improvement plan. It was Agnes who put her onto Doug Marland. Doesn't say where she got the idea for "Glo". Just a little FYI.