CBS Television City and Soaps

• Members

As far as I know, only four daytime soaps were ever taped at CBS Television City in Hollywood: The Clear Horizon (which I believe is the first ever California soap), Y&R, Capitol, and B&B. Below is a short featurette, hosted by John McCook and Melody Thomas Scott (which originally aired on 4/27/02, as part of a primetime special celebrating the 50th anniverary of CBS Television City) regarding the backstage activities and history of the Television City soaps:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MTi0iJu9lI4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Of course, if anybody has firsthand knowledge about how a soap studio works (whether it be CBS Television City or not), I'd love to read about it.

Since soap fans tend to also be game show fans, I've decided to also share the following featurette hosted by Bob Barker (from the same special) that discusses the game shows filmed at Television City:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5p9Tr9bfbIo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If anybody wants to view the rest of this special, it is currently available on YouTube.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Carl, I would love to read the article you have about The Clear Horizon. Thank you so much for offering to upload it, and thanks for all of the other articles you have posted. Those articles are absolute treasures.

Based on the clip that was shown, it seems that The Clear Horizon was very different from the traditional New York soaps of the time. Perhaps that is the reason why it failed.

Archived