Shameless

dc11786

• Members

Is anyone following the Channel 4 episodes of Shameless being aired on the Sundance Channel?

Sundance has been rerunning the show for several years now and is in the middle of airing season five at the moment. In the UK, I believe the show is on hiatus, but will air the second part of it's eighth season this summer. I'm in love with the characters featured at the moment.

The Maguire family is awesome. Kelly and Shane's romance was sweet, and I absolutely despised Paddy for running Kelly out of town. I still don't get the hype over Mickey Maguire, but I did appreciate his near breakdown when he lost the cocaine during a tryst with a dock worker. Jamie / Karen as the stable couple provides an interesting dynamic. Mandy's decision to live with the Gallaghers had allowed the show to explore the Mandy / Ian friendship on occassion.

It's odd to think there was a time, both before and after this period, where Monica wasn't a part of the family unit. I think the Gallagher family works better with both Monica and Frank present making really bad decisions with Debbie acting as the stabilizing force in the Gallagher home. Frank works as a selfish man who still has an emotional connection to his kids. This works much better than Frank as a completely selfish drunk.

Yvonne / Stan's romance is sweet. I loved when Stan went to the optometrist and 'saw' Yvonne for the first time. Yvonne's friendship with Norma has been a pleasant surprise. I love how Norma has Yvonne's back, and her loyalty isn't being manipulated as it is at the Gallagher household. I'm not a big fan of the other two cops, Tom and Carrie.

In particular, two episodes have really stood out this season.

(1) The one where Chesney Karib was named the children's mayor of Chatsworth was a brilliant episode. Rebecca Ryan was wonderful as the heart sick heroine pining for Chesney as her family mocked her behind her back. I loved how the Maguire women (Mandy / Mimi) were giving her advice about being in love. When Chesney revealed he didn't care for her, I love how Annabelle Apsion looked at Debbie like she wanted to help her, but she didn't know how to. This was typical Monica.

Meanwhile, you had the romances between Shane / Kelly and Stan / Yvonne, which were both well done. I like how Shane wasn't outraged that Kelly was working for Lillian, but didn't have the cash to pay for her time. Yvonne's plight with the street rats lead to the beautiful moment where Norma pulled the gun on the knife wielding street girl who was harassing Yvonne.

(2) This week's episode featured the arrival of Joan, Monica's mother. Joan showed herself to be a worse mother than Monica taunting Monica about her weight; Monica's pregnant for the millionth time. Then, Joan reveals she is staying with the family in order to escape going to the nursing home. The whole episode is heartbreaking / comical as Joan goes about saying whatever she feels like and proceeds to forget what has just happened.

During the course of the episode, Norma reveals to Debbie that Joan called Monica a liar when Monica accused Joan's boyfriend of molesting her as a hild. Later, Joan tells Monica, who she doesn't recognize, that she hated her daughter (Monica) because the girl (Monica) reminded her of her of the man Joan loved and had been left by. Joan admitted she knew Dennis, Joan's boyfriend, had molested Monica and had allowed it to happen as punishment to Monica for reminding her of Monica's father.

At one point, we learn Joan has accumlated sleeping pills with the intention of killing herself. The problem is the Gallaghers have learned of her plan and stolen the pills. Due to her Alzheimer's, Joan cannot remember her plan and spends most of the episode trying to remember what it is that's missing from her purse. Annabelle Apsion shines in the scene where she returns the pills to Joan and tells Joan that her daughter (Monica) cannot forgive her for what she has done, but that it helped to know Joan knew the truth. It was really heartbreaking stuff.

I wish the show was on DVD in the U.S. Years ago, the first season was released, but there haven't been an subsequent DVDs.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the original series?

I didn't include this in the Showtime Shameless thread because I know some posters didn't want to be potentially spoiled depending on how faithful the show plans on being to the original.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've watched the show off and on - the blend of joy and despair mix almost perfectly, and the characters are so nasty but also have some moments of humor and warmth and innocence.

To me the Gallaghers are very one-note, but I do enjoy the Maguires. I think Shane and Mickey are what make the family stand out - Mickey is the heart, and to me, the heart of the show, although in the most recent episodes I watched, he was running out of steam because they keep ducking out of the coming out story he should have had by now.

• Members

When did you watch, Carl?

One day, I was looking through the British Television section at my then local video store and spotted 'Shameless' on the shelves. I remember wanting to know what happened next, but I don't remember being completely in love with the show. About a year later, I was surprised to see Sundance was airing episodes from later seasons. Carol and Marty were on at the time. I wasn't thrilled with Veronica's brother, mother, and sister-in-law. It was hard to develop storylines around Marty with his Tourettes and Carol's sexual escapades weren't my cup of tea. I remember watching six or seven episodes, but nothing stands out in terms of the storyline other than Frank and Kev trying to dig up the body of Sheila's first husband.

When Showtime started showing promos for their version, I got back into the show. The seasons that have just reaired (seasons 5 + 6) were excellent. I'm not looking forward to saying goodbye to so many of my favorites.

I also don't understand why Showtime decided to start at the beginning. I'm curious to see whether or not the US version will develop the Milkiwicz family further. Mandy and Mickey have already been featured and some random actor appeared as the father in an episode or two.

There have been some other really solid episodes lately. The one where Ian hooks up with a firefighter who turns out to be his half-brother is particularly soapy. I wish more was done with this.

I'd love to hear any further thoughts you have on the series, Carl.

Archived