2011: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

He was pretty much right.

I have mixed feelings on Tomlin. He did turn OLTL into a weird mix of darkness and bad camp. I do think the camp/comedy was much better than what it's been in recent years, but the Mitch-raping-Viki story was such a mistake, a huge mistake.

I didn't watch his DAYS often enough to form a solid opinion, but he did bring ratings up, and had some good ideas. It just seems like with Higley, or with his own mistakes, or both, they all sputtered out by late 2009/early 2010.

I'd like to see him get another shot somewhere, with other people that can balance him.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And I wouldn't mind that. Really. I think Tomlin got way more blame than was necessary for how things turned out at DAYS. True, the production values were crap, but the writing, which is what matters, IMO, that was more Dena's fault.

• Administrator

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385567/

If it's the same guy, he wrote a movie that Patrick Muldoon was in.

Ah okay. It's possible Corday/Sony was talking to Tomlin too.

I dislike Dena so I will blame her too. LOL Even though I was disappointed with his production values at DAYS, Tomlin is one of my Passions directors, so I have a hard time turning on him.

• Members

I realize much has tainted Gary Tomlin's record as an EP. But I also think he has been under the same amount of pressure to grab younger audiences' attention as has everyone else, pressure that might go away once he no longer has a man such as Brian Frons to answer to. Plus, for some reason, I don't find his obsession with shirtless hunks nearly as troublesome as, say, Frank Valentini's.

More to the point, Tomlin appears to have a rapport with actors, which is necessary if we're going to get even halfway decent performances out of people in this new venture; as well as a fondness for humor, something which AMC has been lacking for decades. True, that humor can often lapse into camp, but so, too, could classic AMC (let's not lie to ourselves, people); and with the right HW to balance that or ground it in character-driven storytelling, it just might come off okay.

But I could be wrong. :)

Archived