Our Street - anyone know more about this?

DRW50

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Never heard of this, but oh my God, I totally would have watched it. Produced in my neck of the woods, a fine cast of black theatre actors, airing on PBS like Degrassi did in the '80s/'90s, wow... This actually sounds like something WHUT (Howard University's channel in D.C.) would have rerun in the '80s, I guess it wouldn't hurt to see if they have it in their archives. When Googling, it only appears to pop up in obits of Howard Rollins.

• Members

It's the type of thing I wish PBS could have done more of - a continuing drama about the struggles of daily life. The cast sounds great. I guess it probably only had a limited run in mind from the start, but I'd love to know the stories, or if the writers or producers had any other ideas.

The early/mid 70s was probably when PBS was last allowed to be quite so creative.

This seems to be the only TV credit for Parham?

• Members

It certainly is, I lost my mom in her early 50s. I'm not familiar with the actress, I Googled and the IMDb page popped up with her other name.

I agree, I was fully prepared to hear that the show ran for like 13 episodes. Would love to see it. I wonder if it was daily, weekly...?

• Members

I'm sorry about your mother. I hope my comment didn't sound too flip.

I don't know if you're a fan of Olivia Cole, but one of the magazines from around this time also had some photos and an interview of her. I'm going to post it in the GL thread. I never even knew she was on a soap.

• Members

Thank you, and no offense taken at all my friend. :)

Wait, she played the crabby nosy old neighbor in The Women of Brewster Place, right? Wow, I Googled her a couple of years back, I was really taken by her when I saw her on Oprah looking sleek and beautiful out of the old age makeup and I wondered what happened to her (kind of like Margaret Avery). I figured she must have been a theatre actress, like a young Gloria Foster, because I don't recall her having a lot of TV/film credits. Please post, I'd be interested in reading.

Archived