Anyone else used to watch UPN/The WB?

Eric83

• Members

Anyone else used to watch these networks? That CW thread got me thinking about these networks. I really loved them in the beginning when they were underdogs and had good shows. By the time the 90's ended both networks really started, to I don't know.... turn me off. The teen invasion The WB had really annoyed me, as many of the show's sitcoms got dumped when they really didn't have to. UPN was a different story, they never so much changed the type of shows they had, it's just that some of the newer sitcoms were never really that good. So what were you guys' favorite shows from these networks? Also does anyone know what places these channels were ranked among the networks during their years on the air? I know they were always 5th and 6th place, but wanted to know which of the two topped the other channel.

Here's a cute promo piece advertising the WB's 1996 fall schedule:

Sister, Sister, Unhappily Ever After, and The Wayans Bros. :wub:

I had no idea Jamie Luner was on Savannah. I never watched it, was it good? Funny I never watched the ONE show set in my hometown. :lol:

I will post more old clips from both networks as I find them.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember their early stuff, shows like Steam, Live Shot, the weird thing where the man had the puppet.

In time WB became "Pretty White Kids With Problems" and they also let a lot of their shows go down the tubes (Buffy, Angel, Dawson's Creek). But they still seemed to have more success than UPN, which never really got off the ground.

• Members

I never got UPN in my area but I did get The WB for a time.

Here are some of the pre Dawson shows I watched:

Brotherly Love

Smart Guy

Sister, Sister

The Parent 'Hood

Unhappily Ever After

I also watched Dawson's Creek, Buffy, Charmed, Felicity, and one episode of Popular. At the time, my affiliate got WGN in the daytime and The WB at primetime until one day I went to go watch Charmed and it had now changed to WGN all the time. The WB didn't come back until 2005 or 2006.

The one good thing about The CW was that I finally got to watch Veronica Mars, but that was its third season.

• Members

Platypus Man?

I think had the WB stayed diverse in its porgramming, instead of virtually dropping nearly all of its sitcoms in one season, they could have a broader audience. But they dropped it all for the teen demo, that would end up leaving the network in 2-3 years.

Shows like The Wayans Bros., Smart Guy, and The Parent' Hood still had life in them. Oddly enough, I felt that Sister, Sister ended at the right time.

One reason I feel UPN never really went anywhere was that it had a weak schedule for most of its run. The only shows I really enjoyed were Moesha, The Parkers, Clueless, In the House, Girlfriends, Eve, and Good News. There may have been some others, but overall they just never had anything that resonated with its audience.

Did anyone watch the show Kirk on WB?

• Members

Was it any good? I never really got to watch it back in the 90's, and it's hard to find clips of it on Youtube.

I also loved Brotherly Love, I remember they showed reruns on Disney in the early 00's. Joey Lawrence was one of my crushes. :wub:

Oh. I thought he was referring to a UPN show. My bad. :lol:

Archived