Y&R Casting News

• Members

Agreed that she's at best a one-note actress, but they must figure she appeals to their target demo, and the focus groups probably love her. Believe me, if they didn't think she could appeal to the viewers they're desperately trying to reach, then she wouldn't be featured so heavily. They must feel she and Lily's "storybook romance" can deliver the numbers.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Even if the stories were decent the blatant ability of Y&R to CONSTANTLY find or create plots & love interests for its younger WHITE male actors while their sole younger Black actor languishes on the backburner ALONE is proof enough that racism on Daytime (especially Y&R) exists.

• Members

The fact is that someone or some group is always going to be shafted. Look at the over-50 actresses on the show. They're treated at best as stupid plot devices or as wallpaper. Melody Thomas Scott, Jess Walton, and Judith Chapman have zilch to do. Jeanne Cooper has turned into a mother hen/doting matriarch. Should we be crying ageism? There's one recurring gay character on the show (Rafe) who, when briefly featured on a regular basis, was involved in a storyline so incredibly offensive and insulting. Then there's the gay character they brought back from the dead played by an out and proud gay actor (Phillip) only to have disappeared as quickly as he arrived. Should we be crying homophobia? How about Adrienne Leon(sp?) Wasn't she supposedly fired because she gained too much weight? Was she the victim of prejudice? Where are the Jewish characters? Were the Carltons disposed of because they were Jewish? Was antisemitism at play? The truth is that we have no idea about what ultimately goes into any of these decisions. There are so many cooks in the kitchen these days, that it's not just one, two, or three people deciding these things. My thing is that I hate crying bigotry without any solid evidence. The term "racism" gets thrown around a lot to the point of where it holds little meaning. I'm gay and Jewish, so believe me, I'm very sensitive to bigotry.

• Members

Which would be fine if there was an even playing field.

But there isn't & never will be.

Yes.

And there is no such thing as "crying" when ISMS are involved.

There is room for addressing ISMS but reducing them to "crying" about them to avoid dealing with and/or discussing them is offensive.

And attempting to equate ageism with racism/sexism/homophobia as a means to avoid honest discussion about the subjects at hand?

Such an outmoded debate technique.

Yes.

The truth is that we do.

If you chose to believe that the blatant racism/sexism/homophobia & disparity is all coincidences & subterfuge that's your choice as is Daytime's.

And as such it's rewarded by massively eroding viewership, precipitously declining ratings & scathing critical feedback.

And yet all those cooks are cooking the same dishes regardless of kitchen, network, or multi national conglomerate.

It's easy to reduce people's real existing issues to "crying bigotry" when they don't directly affect you.

Especially when it's blatantly about refusing to listen or even attempting to understand what those who ARE directly affected BY those issues have to say than weakly attempting to defend the indefensible to avoid calling a spade a spade.

Only for those that want to willfully stick their heads in the sand.

LOL You REALLY don't want to go there.

• Webmaster

Yeah, I'm with JP, I wasn't even sure about her until after I saw this thread yesterday. Got her information, but wasn't sure why Sony/CBS sent her on the red carpet with no info at all about why she was there. Thankfully she gave us her card with her info, or else we wouldn't have an idea of who she is, who she'd be playing and when she first airs. Working on that article and many other Emmy related stuff as we speak into next week as I'm going to be VERY free for the next couple of months. This will allow me to make up for all the lost time I've had.

• Members

Isn't it Y&R's or Sony's job to announce her to the press? Wouldn't this have been a good opportunity to get the show more publicity and have her introduce herself, especially since she might bring in some viewers who have moved away from the show.

If she wasn't a part of "That Black Storyline" I wonder if they might have made more effort.

• Members

I don't see why they would send any new actor to the Emmys without having the show's PR people set up some intro. interviews, it's just dumb. But it isn't the first time that's happened. When I went to the Emmys in '99, Cameron Mathison was walking around with this dude who weeks later we would realize was the new Scott Chandler, Forbes March.

Re: Lily, she's an interesting case though. We could get into a LONG discussion on the nature and the nurture factors of what it is to be black, but at the end of the day, she is still a woman of color. So you could say, if they were really really REALLY racist, they wouldn't have even bothered with her and let her hog all that frontbuner with something as big as a cancer s/l and romance after romance with a young white leading man, or you could say that if they just had to implement a black character on this show, they sure as hell went with the "safest" (you either get what I mean by that or you don't) black character at their disposal. In my world, black means a helluva lot more than skin color and if they were hoping to appease their LARGE black audience by putting this young black heroine in the forefront, yeah, that hasn't gone over so well.

Archived