A Big Rumor about ATWT Reid

• Members

I guess what bothers me the most is that while the show will still have some gay representation at the end, it's going to be marred by death. This was the only gay story left on soaps and generally, the only successful (in terms of audience reaction -- I can't count Kish since the official line is that they were showkillers) story on soaps involving gay men, and one of the few involving any gay characters. And this is going to end in a) a pointless death and b ) the other gay characters reuniting in the shadow of death. It's a miserable, gutless, depressing ending, one that has followed gay characters around for decades.

I'm also offended by the show's whitewashing, I hope I didn't imply otherwise.

The whole thing with their treatment of gay characters and of Bonnie and Jessica and other minorities is all just a spit in the face of Doug Marland and what he did for ATWT :(

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Welcome. It is usually the bad stuff that pushes a person to start posting. LOL!

Langford should have the cajones to speak out starting now. I don't know why he is keeping quiet. ATWT is gone. P&G is out of the soap business. Other than AMC, there are no more gay characters on U.S. soaps nor are there likely to be ever again so why is he keeping quiet? It would be nice if one of these soap bloggers stuck their necks out a bit and not toe the party line so much. I wonder if Branco will speak out? I doubt it.

• Members

I feel the same way. I've had hope at other times, like FMB's early time on the show and Sheffer's first year, but that was usually based on the positive vibes others had, and it didn't last long. Culliton was the last time I actually saw ATWT as representing the true heart and spirit of the show and its community.

I know GL's last year was not good, hell, you can say the show hadn't been good in a long, long time, but even thought I found a lot more to enjoy in that last year than I have with ATWT this year. I am barely able to watch even my favorite characters. I'm still a month behind because the episodes are so bad. I didn't mind GL's finale week because they brought back beloved characters and tried to end with some dignity. It seems like ATWT is going out more along the lines of Capitol and that firing squad.

• Members

I vaguely remember Culliton's tenure. Please jog my memory. What were his major stories?

They figured they had three gay characters so they could kill one for sport like the Romans sending gladiators into the ring.

No, you did not.

As horribly as P&G treated black characters and their reservations about their gay characters, I give P&G credit for sticking it out with their gay characters. P&G could have done what ABC did with Kyle and Oliver years ago to Luke and his Ball and Chain, but P&G stuck it out through threatened boycotts.

• Members

True dat.

I only watched AW from among those, and it turned so awful that I hadn't watched it for years by the time it died. The only reason I came back to Oakdale was because of Reid (I watched early "Nuke," but was too disappointed to continue when they introduced the Iraqi woman). I hope this is just a rumor, like the one about Christeeeeen being Ryder and Daisy's mother on Y&R. Reid is simply my favorite character since Andy Dixon.

• Members

OMG, I loved the Damian/Lily/Orena story. Well, I loved Damian. The only time I could ever tolerate Lily was when she was with Damian. He is one of my all time favorite soap characters. Of course, he was ruined by subsequent headwriters including Passante and Goutman. Ugh.

I didn't like Lisa when she was going after John for Eduardo's death, but it was a good story.

• Members

Culliton also wrote the main portions of the story when Carly was a real b!tch to Rosanna and was seducing Mike. That was the fun stuff, then when he left it somehow became about Rosanna getting addicted to gambling in five minutes. I still remember that LOL scene where Rosanna and Mike were at a chapel and she wouldn't marry him because she was sitting in her wedding dress playing a slot machine over and over and over.

I do agree with you that ATWT at least had the guts to keep their gay characters. I just wish it didn't have to end this way.

• Members

Yeah, looks like Reid will be killed off a week or two before the final episode. Noah comforts Luke and it is implied that they will be together in the future. There is a picture of Lily, Holden, Noah, and Luke at the Synder pond. It looks like Luke may be holding an urn with Reid's ashes.

This whole thing makes me think that Reid's death was probably planned as soon as DK left. JP and CG were probably thrown off guard by Helen Wagner's death, but it was too late to do anything about Reid's death because I bet they would not have wanted two deaths so close together at the end.

• Members

What was the car accident? I can't remember.

I think the Black and Stern stuff officially began with the plane crash in early 1996 that "killed" Damian and blinded Sam and made Margo go nuts.

The only good thing with that era was that the vets were still used. Goutman tends to not ever do that.

Archived