Tori Spelling won't mean the end for One Life

• Members

Link Here

Brought it here since I haven't seen it posted yet.

Tori Spelling Isn't Killing One Life to Live

by Michael Logan April 26, 2010 02:34 PM EST

One Life to Live fans have been fretting about the future of their soap, and they got a little more crazed last week when news broke that ABC Daytime might give Tori Spelling her own talk show. But ABC Daytime PR chief Jori Petersen assures TV Guide Magazine there’s nothing to worry about.

“We want OLTL to succeed and are doing everything we can to facilitate that,” says Petersen. “We want the show to be fantastic and robust. There are no plans for cancellation.”

ABC Daytime is indeed looking into the possibility of a Spelling chat show under its ABC Media Productions banner, but this division in known for developing reality programs not necessarily intended for the network. For example, it created Cha$e, which was sold to Syfy, as well as Making Over America With Trinny and Susannah, which ended up on TLC, and Southern Belles: Louisville and Holidate, both of which landed at SOAPnet. And this is the same ABC division that developed an Aisha Tyler talk show that sent OLTL lovers into an unnecessary panic last year.

Petersen is also addressing those long-running rumors that OLTL head writer Ron Carlivati will get the ax when his current contract ends—rumors that amped up recently when ABC hired As the World Turns’ current head writer Jean Passanante to join the OLTL team. “Jean was brought in to help Ron at Ron’s request,” clarifies the rep. “There are plans to take the show in a new and different direction, and we have absolute confidence that Ron will make that happen. The network in firmly behind him.”

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He's(Frons) not considering it! It's just the audience... well you know the rest.

I call B.S. on this one too. Maybe ABC is developing this project for syndication or for another network(i.e. Logo), but why wasn't that announced as being the case from the get-go? Anytime something is being developed for syndication, the production company behind the project usually announced that. Not to mention, the shooting of this pilot wasn't really confirmed by the network until now. Why the secrecy?

Maybe ABC is developing multiple talk projects in the event that the network does indeed decide to move The View into syndication or a later timeslot.

In all honesty, ABC Daytime has needed something this drastic for about ten years now. If OLTL is canceled, the new talk/news project is going to get the noon hour and AMC will have to sink or swim in OLTL's old timeslot. I see affiliates wanting the option of airing the network hour live at noon or on a one hour delay at 1PM EST. For fans of AMC that get the show a day behind, that would be good news for them. I'd love for OLTL's replacement to be a new soap(by Jill Phelps and a great mystery writer), but the networks are too cheap to take on a project of that magnitude. I'd settle for something, anything new in daytime. And OLTL, in my opinion, is just a terrible show. The stories are awful and it's a standard definition eyesore.

Archived