Questions for Canadian users, whos your broadband internet providor?

Drew

• Members

I am extreamly EXTREAMLY pissed off with Rogers cable and am on the verge of dropping it for Bell dsl. They've throttled all bittorrent traffic on their network to the point where I'm downloading in BYTES on torrents that are well seeded. If I can't download, whats the point of broadband?! I might as well go with some dinky dialup company nobodys heard of.

So, anyone else either finding the same thing with Rogers / Shaw? And any Bell users noticed any similar throttling?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm with Rogers, it's better than Bell I find. I had Bell but they were total idiots, they even charged me for two months service AFTER I had cancelled with them.

My problem with Bell was that it crashed ALL the time and didn't work at odd times (like 2 am). But keep in mind when I used Bell I did have a split connection, so that could be why it didn't work.

I know lots of people who have Bell who like it, so if Rogers is really annoying you, I'd try Bell.

• Members

Oh Gawd, Bytes that sucks...

Ya Bell crashes sometimes, but not for long periods of times. I used to have Rogers and it pissed me off, it crashed a lot. I have Bell and I believe its ulimited Bandwith Usage not to mention the speed is good. Before switching you should check out how far you are from the CO, because it could affect your performance, the greater the distance the not-so-good performance.

When I'm using torrents, I usually average at a speed of 20 KB or higher.

• Members

thats where I'm headed.

I pre-checked with bell's website and apparently the most I qualify is for their 3meg package. not the 5meg. but I don't really care. That generally means I'd still have to be fairly close to a CO as I know from my job as a verizon dsl tech that they usually dont qual 3M unless you're around 6000 ft from a CO. Now, it's not exact, and is a different network, but 3M is pretty sweet. But I also know a website or sales dept. qualification is meaningless untill the MCO begins provisioning my line and starts doing their testing on the actual line. Those pre-quals are area based, and dont account for long loop length, or bridge taps, or pieces of fiber optic on my line scrambling the signal. Plus ... as I said, I do DSL Tech Support for Verizon 40 hours a week, so I can fix myself up in a matter of minutes.

Is Bell still PPPoE? Was last time I used them. And since I'm going to be paying for it and I'll be the primary account name I don't see any problems. The biggest cause of dsl being down is changing your password and not updating your modem/router with it.

Archived