Debut Episode Air Dates For New Producers on the UK Soaps

Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Not really. I think they generally wanted to help the show at the time, as it was just sitting in the schedule, never being promoted, never bringing in new/old viewers, and came up with the misguided idea of rebooting it, in the hope that it would appeal to the old viewers who were driven away by the serialised format. The terrible incidental music, and revamped opening credits were really bad; they seriously cheapened the show. I do think it was a last chance option - gel with the fans, renew contract; don't gel, get cancelled.

From what I saw (one ep), it was OK. It needed work, but it wasn't bad. I never tuned in again, b/c my time with the show was over, which is how a lot of ex-viewers probably felt. The promotion was there for the reboot, but disappeared, soon after. The ratings stayed the same, which I guess, for ITV, was seen as a failure.

And I forget how unpopular SuBe was in the US - if only Five hadn't of spent all that money on H&A, they could've put the money to funding Sunset Beach. *sigh*

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really don't know. He was around for a couple of years, and the show won all those awards, and finally gained recognition, so when someone else stepped in at the very end, it did seem odd. The cancellation was odd, so who knows. It's interesting when people talk about him, they dub him the Grim Soap Reaper, but really, he helped Family Affairs in a lot of ways.

I loved the show, but wasn't a big fan of the wave of new characters that were introduced in Sept/Oct - it took a while for the 20 somethings to gel, and by the time they did, the show was dead. The Wildings were terrible; glamorous but common, and really didn't fit. Elieen's exit was also a big loss. It's a shame that the show had to end on another transition period.

• Members

Ah, the memories this thread invokes. As I remember, the wave of new, younger, good looking characters were part of Sean O'Connor's grand plan to glamourise the show in order to compete with Hollyoaks (which also broadcast at 18:30). He produced the third series of Footballer's Wives, so probably knew how to)....

His plan included renaming the show and upping the show's production values to fit in with the less filmic, more natural filming look he had already introduced. I actually think if the show had been given time and he learned to maintain an age balance (he loved Doug and Cat McKenzie for example thus stories would have served them well) something good may have happened, but as with that scene with Rex Randall and Katie Williams in the finale, we'll never know.

Oh, and a slight correction, Jack Ryder was meant to place Felix, the police officer, but once the cancellation was announced, he opted not to do the role.

• Members

A good point has been raised in regards to Bryan Kirkwood. Although experience has been gained as a production executive through his work on Hollyoaks, fundamentally, his strengths are in storytelling, so that is one element I would expect to strengthen.

As with most new producers, HMGP (Her Majesty's Gutter Press) have used his work on his previous show to somehow 'predict' what he will do on his new project. Such as 'predicting' he will 'flood the show with youngsters' and 'sex it up'. Such speculation can cloud someone's expectation. I expect Bryan Kirkwood to adapt to the well-oiled Eastenders, and let the writing and storytelling do the talking.

Phil Collinson's prior declaration of love for Coronation Street should put him in good stead in regards to understanding the show and its characters. From what I understand, he may have been the person Granada actually wanted after Steve Frost left as producer, but for whatever reason, they went with Kim Crowther. If this is the match made in heaven I've heard, then I expect the show to do well under him.

As for what soaps I'm enjoying at the moment, I'd say (as odd as it may seem) Days Of Our Lives.

• Members

At best, Kirkwood will have two fabulous years before crashing and burning and BBC taking him away to do other, more 'respectable' things. Diederick Santer lasted 4 years and the same will probably happen with Kirkwood unless he messes things up royally.

His last year on Hollyoaks was pure crap, isn't that right? :unsure: Dull, insipid, lifeless?

• Members

I remember now! Jack Ryder's character was gonna be the cop, not the footballer. It was several years ago... I also remember reading about his plans to rename the show - to what, I have no idea, and whether that would've worked or not, is another matter. Has there ever been a show that's renamed itself during a revamp? I noticed the shift in age groups, too, and I'm not convinced this would've been a successful move. The loss of Eileen left a hole, and there didn't seem to be anyone set to replace her.

Do you think it's a coincidence that EE have introduced an influx of teens, at a time when their new producer used to work on a teen soap? I have to wonder if they would've fleshed out the teen scene, if BK hadn't of been taking over.

Interesting! I'll have to pay more attention to the end credits, to see when he's credited. Isn't KC's time up in June? I wonder if he'll nix the dreaded Molvin story?

• Members

His last year didn't quite have the finesse of his prior years at the show, I wouldn't say it was awful though. Remember, he did admit when he left that Lucy Allan would be tweaking the remainder of his storylines and material, even as he was still being credited. I think that definitely showed a lot, and knowing how badly Lucy Allan has ruined the show, I'm inclined to give her most of the blame.

As UK LAW said, Kirkwood's strengths are in serialised storytelling, and EastEnders definitely needs someone with that kind of expertise at the moment. Santer, as much as he was lauded, sucked at grasping how serialised storytelling works.

• Members

Still, it took him only two years to completely crash & burn and turn into suckage deluxe. I don't see that as being good in serialised storytelling. :mellow:

I'd be happy if he gives us 2 great years. Otherwise, he can get lost.

Archived