ATWT March 2010 Discussion Thread

• Members

A few thoughts...

Janet's dad was so on point about his daughter being a slut :rolleyes:

With that said, Rocco is a total redux of Noah's father: same character with same motive. Noah's dad was a criminal who used murder to uphold his idea of 'traditional' values. Rocco is doing the same thing in that he wants to 'defend' Janet and Jack's marriage. The guys even made a comment about Dusty having no respect for the 'sanctity of marriage'. I think Pissy's message is that anyone with traditional values is really just a bigot with deep blood lust. I had when she tries at promoting a social message and am guessing that this is a left over reflex from her AMC days. DK got the show smewhat back on track and Pissy will ruin it all by September.

BTW, does anyone get the feeling that Janet has replaced Lilly as the show's emotional focal point? She cries, hugs and gets needy in all the same ways as Martha Byrne's Lilly. I see her as the white trash Lilly immaturely bouncing from crisis to crisis. I'm hoping that Dusty lives but think it would be a trip for Dusty and Libby to die on the same day and then maybe Janet could have a miscarriage upon learing that Pop killed her man. I know this will never happen; however, it would be great for all four painfully bad storylines to end on the same day.

As a sidenote, watched Days for the first time in years last week. The show sort of reminds me of ATWT in the mid to late 1990's. It might be the sets, the pace, possibly elements of the story. Vivian and Victor really remind me of James Stenbeck and Lucinda Walsh during their 'romance' and all this reminded me of why Liz Hubbard quit. All and all, Days is good and might end up as my replacement for World Turns. I wish Gary Tomlin and Ed Scott had taken over at ATWT 'cause the show would be so much better. Goutman went out and wasted so much money on really bad new sets a few years back. Days has been using the same sets right down to the curtains for over 20 years and the show looks so muchg better than ATWT.

Question: Why is a cancelled show going on with a contest for Eileen Fulton. Things like this cost money and there is no longer a need to boost ratings? They could have easily set up a sing-a-long with Don Hastings and spent no cash. My guess is that Goutman is hoping for a rating surge in May and, with that, a new home. The man must realize that no other show will ever hire him.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, Brian Bloom caught the Meg Ryan I am a BIG STAR thing! He really hasnt done [!@#$%^&*] since he left ATWT. Oh wait we saw his naked ass on TV. Does that count?laugh.gifwub.gif Thank Gawd for Julianne Moore.smile.gif Btw...Meg Ryan was fabulous as Betsy although I loved Lyndsay Frost as Betsy too.

• Members

Reid and Luke stuck in an elevator :wub:

They should have seen it coming once the camera followed them in there.

Ugh Luke is so annoying when he's obviously trying to "flirt" with someone. Reid shoulda socked him in the eye.

The whole Reid-is-claustrophobic-and-so-he's-sweating-all-over-the-place thing is kinda over the top, no?

• Members

I think the celebration of Eileen's 50th anniversary with the show is deserved, regardless of the show's end. Other characters have gotten some on screen acknowledgements of their longevity with the show. Most notably Kim's visit with Jennifer in '97 to mark Kathy Hays' 25th. And on some level, I think TPTB love doing those "special" episodes. They had planned on doing one for Helen Wagner's last birthday, but that got shelved due to her health issues. We didn't get one for Valentine's this year, so this and Bob and Kim's anniversary may be the only ones we get before the end.

While I agree Rocco is the same lame-assed Stupid Plot Device that Nuke usually had to deal with, I don't think his attack on Dusty had much of anything to do with his "traditional" values. In that way, it's NOT like Nuke. Col. Meyer was a bigot who thought Luke was "corrupting" his son. OTOH, Rocco is a thug protecting himself. Dusty threatened to expose his mob connections and have him thrown in jail. If Rocco ends up ordering a hit on Carly to pave the way for Jack and Janet, I'll rethink. But I doubt Rocco gives that big a damn about Janet, the daughter he hasn't seen in nearly 20 years. He seems resigned to the fact she's a lost cause, as she "cats around" cheating on Jack.

On to today...I thought the eppy kind of blew. All the action around Dusty seemed rushed and without any emotional resonance. I mean, Carly's nearly hysterical, Jack's lapsing and calling him Brad, and Janet spouts off another "woe is me" speech. I actually thought it was kind of funny, when Carly pronounced herself a "family friend"...as if Dusty really HAS any "family" in town anyway.

I didn't watch live, so I skipped over most of the Luke/Reid contrivances.

• Members

Do we have a date for when the Eileen anniversary stuff will air? I know CBS.com has some videos relating to the contest, but I don't really care about the contest, just the celebration of all things Lisa.

I wonder if there will be some kind of Nancy/HW thing as we get closer to the end. I like to think that ATWT has enough sense (they definitely have the resources) to give all of the major, long-time characters their due and proper send-off before the end. Lisa, Kim and Bob are taken care of as far as we know, but they mustn't forget Nancy, Susan, Barbara, Lucinda, and Emma, not to mention Tom/Margo, Holden/Lily, and Emily.

• Members

LOL They were pretty interesting today, if you could get past Luke's annoying ticks. It's a shame, but I guess it's safe to say they're writing him in character. His heart went all fluttery over Noah for absolutely no reason, and now it's doing the same thing with Reid. Eh, at least he knows Reid's gay and it's obvious Reid reciprocates (though I have no idea why).

You should have seen him selling Reid's skills to Carly and Janet. It would have been hilarious if someone had called him out in it. "Oh God, Luke, you just want him to get in your pants. Shut up and leave, please."

• Members

I am half way through the episode and it isn't half bad. The Luke/Reid stuff so far has been interesting. At least they didnt kiss once both had each other in that embrace like ala Nuke...ugh.....lol. I like that they are getting to know each other instead of bang I love you...let me kiss you moments...lol. And I still say that Nuke never slept together. We never saw it and it didnt happen...lol.

• Members

I enjoyed that episode, too. I didn't even mind Carly. I didn't watch the next ep, since Luke and Reid weren't in the "next on," but I genuinely enjoyed everything in that episode.

One question, if I may: What is Craig's actual relationship to the boy he was eating ice cream with? Who is this boy? TIA.

Archived