Y&R: Week of May 11, 2009

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sheffer and Hamner aren't traditional soap writers, so they don't understand the classic soap essentials, and let me tell you, it goes a lot deeper than showcasing "vets."

and MAB doesnt want to be a soap writer at all, so she adds her blah vision to these plots Sheffer and Hamner advise her on.

Get a real classic soap storyteller in there, Billy come on!

• Members

We are all still wondering why the heck Maria kept Scottie there. What did he do that impressed her so much? She dropped so many writers yet she keeps him around?

Do you think Alden and MAB can co-exist there? I know I'm saying crazy stuff because B&B is a mess, but Alden did good during her first sole tenure.

Or maybe it was Trent Jones, Jim Houghton......

• Members

You see, I remember that episode. I can barely distinguish between all the episodes around it, because the constant succession of "This is the plot, and now we're furthering it" scenes makes it all interchangeable. But that episode slowed down, it exposed character and it made us privy to the characters' private feelings and thoughts (or, at least, it did it more than the rest).

I think one of the reasons is lack of confidence. The "team" doesn't believe that the plots can sustain the audience's interest, so they're advancing it quickly. Basically, it goes by so fast, that one doesn't really have the time to stand back and think: "Wow, wait, that actually kinda sucks."

• Members

Like I said... crazy stuff... I just realized what must be going on in your head after reading that.

We should also be aware of the fact that if the show would slow down, the fans would immediately hate it for being boring and moving on too slow.

• Members

No, Alden needs to retire.

I like Jones.

But my choice is still Patrick Mulcahey, if they can convince him to give HW-ing another go and perhaps pair him with someone who knows the show better.

Or if they can lure the Dobson's or Nancy Curlee out of self-impsoed retirement, but that is very unlikely.

Maria can keep her EP credit, but for God's sake, give this show over to a real storyteller to write it!

• Members

I find it hard to believe that any Y&R fan would have an issue with his or her soap being slow. I mean--hello? It took 3 years to get through one storyline for at least the first 33 years of the show. No, this is being done in a misguided attempt to satisfy "new" and "old" viewers at the same time.

• Members

It's sad that Jerome/Bridget/Nancy aren't on daytime anymore. But why would they want to be involved in the mess that daytime is in? It's embarrassing for so many soaps.

They'll never be able to satisfy both.

Archived