Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I wasn't reading any soap magazines back then so I can't confirm that this is true. (Anybody else?) I know that the St. Croix sequence still stands as an AW high point for me. The show definitely felt different after that to me -- the only thing I was interested in was the Mitch Blake murder and trial, and Rachel's subsequent escape. I thought all of that, including Doug Watson's Emmy-winning portrayal of Mac on the witness stand was VERY watchable. But the rest of the show was so blah, I understand why people left in droves.

When they paired Rachel with a "resurrected" Mitch, a union I found completely devoid of logic and chemistry (largely because Wyndham had to carry all the weight in the relationship -- it's not easy acting with a tree stump, attractive though the stump may have been), even I started tuning out more and more.

• Members

Had Rachel/Mitch/Mac been played against other strong stories with familiar characters,maybe things might have been different.Maybe Pat gets involved with Taylor Holloway,thus integrating a new family with known characters.

Mike returns (recast) saying he and Karen decided against marriage. He can become embroiled in things.Sam Lucas' daughter turns up to stay with Aunt Ada and proves to be a handful etc etc

Instead we got a whole bunch of newbies without any ties to the past.

25th Anniversary photos

SOD+Vol.14+%252315+25-07-1989+%25281%2529.jpg

• Members

I agree. AW was fantastic in the 70's since the Frame's and Matthews were all in play and the introduction of the Corys. After 1980, the offspring characters of those families were in play and in the middle 80's completely gone. Harding Lemay returned back in late 1988 bringing back the characters he created. Iris came back to Bay City, The Frame family started to come back, Russ Matthews returned to town. Donna Swejeski did a great job crafting the familes again but I think it was Harding Lemays stuff she was scrpiting from. He did not stay long after his return. After the 25th anniversary special, that was the death of the show for me. All the familes back out of the picture again and silly characters created

• Members

I agree. AW was fantastic in the 70's since the Frame's and Matthews were all in play and the introduction of the Corys. After 1980, the offspring characters of those families were in play and in the middle 80's completely gone. Harding Lemay returned back in late 1988 bringing back the characters he created. Iris came back to Bay City, The Frame family started to come back, Russ Matthews returned to town. Donna Swejeski did a great job crafting the familes again but I think it was Harding Lemays stuff she was scrpiting from. He did not stay long after his return. After the 25th anniversary special, that was the death of the show for me. All the familes back out of the picture again and silly characters created

Lemay and Rauch were long gone by this time

• Members

At least if they mentioned these characters from time to time. Goes to show you how when a new writer producer comes in, history is lost. Dont think they kept tight records back then and i constantly used to see their screw ups with regards to characters history. making statments about this person or that person that were not true. They should have bought Jordan Charney back for Ada's death. Afer all, he was her brother

• Members

I thought missy died in the early 70's? i am sure i am wrong. i agree, i hated this about soaps. as much as i cant stand days of our lives, they do continusly bring back the hortons all the time. I know in the late 80's Michael Liabson the producer, said "back to the basics". The frames and corys and matthews but it did not last long. Does anyone know if the ratings slightly increased that time? I know I tuned back in

• Members

That was the year they hired Irene Daily to take over the role of Liz. Harding Lemay wanted to get rid of Virgina Dywer who was playing Mary Matthews, alice's mother. Funny how they change characters after different actors take over as early years, Liz Matthews could not stand Jim and Marys children. Audra lindlay (mrs roper) imoratlized the role and Daily ended it fantastic

• Members

Again, different writers. I really like Carmen Duncan and she had some big shoes to fill to replace Bev Mckinsey but I still think they could have found another actress who was more like Bev. Harding Lemay was back writing at this time but he has no say as to who was hired to be the new Iris. At least when Donna Swajeski was writing for Iris, she had history from Lemay. Once she was gone, Iris was a completly different person

• Members

I nver understood the hiring of Wesley Ann, no disrespect to the actress. She lasted only a few months. Harding Lemay and Paul Rauch were in charge at this time. The dream team of AW. How did they make such a bad decision to hire her as Alice? At this point, ALice was a completely different person and brunette. I remember Susan Harney most as Alice and I have to say, I thought she was great. I never understood why, when they recast the role, the character becomes someone completely different. When Wesley showed up as Alice, it was like WTF are they thinking!