Another World

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Allen M. Potter was AW's last good executive producer. Ironically, he was its first ep in 1964! He was also executive producer on The Doctors from 1967-1973 and Guiding Light from 1976-1982, strong eras on both shows. AW from 1983 through 1984, when he rejoined the show, was really good! It's too bad he retired in 1985 and didn't stick around a few more years. If he had, AW would definitely have been in a better place in the late 80s!

• Members

So, while her two main proteges were saving other creations of hers, she was at home base, keeping ATWT as #1 for a little while longer, right? And, then she tutored Pete Lemay but it was such a totally different experience I don't think we should call him a third protege. And Bell & Nixon both spoke their stories out loud as the way they "wrote". Irna dictated to her secretary Rose. Agnes dictated into a Dictaphone. Bell spoke it aloud & then typed it himself on his IBM Selectric. And, all 3 related to their actors by their character names NOT their real names. That is just so much in common!!! 

• Members

I think the ratings declined even before the 90 minute episodes.  I am using AWHP as my evidence.  I could be wrong.  I loved Lemay but I when I think the writing was on the wall and he saw the dip in the audience and yes writing 90 minute episodes is taxing but he was also an alpha and wanted to leave without his part in maybe the show was tanking. 78-79 another world was at #8.  Just one year prior was #1 or about.  So, Lemay can't blame the 90 minute error.  Which made no sense if the show was not at the top anymore (in his defense but he does not state that in his book).

• Members

I think many fans view the 90 minute episodes as a big mistake.  After August, 1980, the following happened: AW would never be NBC’s top rated soap ever again; Beverlee McKinsey left AW and would never return; for the first time in 16 years, AW would not air in the 3 PM time block, with NBC moving it to 2 PM on the East Coast.

NBC should have left AW in the 3 PM block where it was since it premiered.  It was in better shape to do battle with GH and GL.  Also, by the mid80s, both GH and GL were not as strong as they once were.  Texas and Santa Barbara would have done better at 2 PM sandwiched between DAYS and AW.

• Members

Does anyone recall whether Jamie's blood type was ever specified? Was it used to determine that Steve was his father? Or that Maggie was not his daughter? Or that Steven was his son? 

I have just come across the scene in April 1989 where Jake, secretly believing that Steven is probably his son based on the fact that both of them have the blood type AB, has learned from Marley that she and Vicky (who had told Jake that she was also type AB to throw him off) are type O. In reality it is extremely rare for a type O parent to have a type AB child, but also a couple of years earlier in the question of whether John was the twins' father, they said that John and Vicky were type AB. If they could choose only one of continuity or science I would rather they had gone with science, but they ignored one and confused or oversimplified  the other. I am just trying to amuse myself by adding whether they made any of this worse by what blood type(s) they chose for Jamie.

• Members

No matter what the show did, nothing was enough to get it out of the ratings basement it was stuck in during those last 2 decades. In actuality, NBC had wanted to cancel the show at least twice before 1999, so I do think it was a miracle the show lasted as long as it did.

• Members

I am one fan who believes that NBC and P&G were in a protracted battle over the show. NBC at various times wanted to kill the show, run it off the air, cancel it, own it, turn it into DAYS Jr., etc. 

I want to get better ratings than the annual ones that can be found on wikipedia, in Schemering, at AWHP, but with those annual figures we have 

72-73 3rd 9.7/33   30

73-74 2nd 9.7/32   30

74-75 2nd 9.7/31    30

75-76 2nd 8.9/30    60

76-77 2nd 9.0/29    60

77-78 2nd 8.6/28    60

78-79 8th 7.5/25    60/90

Mar. 5, 1979 first 90 min. show

And, I figure that they fought about the 90 minute show for several months, so I still peg it as the reason the bottom fell out. And, there's nothing at all disgraceful about a 7.5/25, anyway. 

Also, Pete Lemay character creation: Amanda, Sharlene, Josie, Sally, Willis, Sven, Janice, Emma, Iris, Elliot, Dennis, Olive, Brian, Robert, Tracy, Gil, David, Larry, Clarice, Gwen, Louise, Beatrice, Vivienne, Angie, Joey, Rose, Eileen, and Blaine

Who did I miss? 

• Members

Yeah, that was my aim. I just started & went till I had to stop. Knew I would be missing lots! I have a similar list on the Dobsons. They were somewhat easier because I could list, for example, the whole original cast of Santa Barbara. This is more difficult, by a large margin!