Another World

• Members

It was Wyndham.  Dano protects Wyndham the same way Maree Cheatham protects Mary Stuart.  And that is by simply never mentioning their name(s).  But when either is pushed into a corner and must acknowledge either Wyndham or Stuart, the response is always -- "Oh, dear Vicky" or "Oh, dear Mary" with little additional comment.  It's an unusual kind of protection that I'm not sure I understand. But I have noticed it many times with both Dano and Cheatham.   So go figure. . .

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well, Charles & Victoria routinely rewrote their scenes. And, Victoria wrote some for the show, whole storylines. I don't see how it would be them. They were so involved in the writing that they'd be happy with it, if you see what I mean.

So, what do you base your opinion on?

• Members

I base my response on viewing their responses to questions over the years in online forums, Facebook groups, and a couple of podcasts.  I won't retype my earlier comment, but go back and read it.   If you don't believe me, ask Dano about Wyndham, or ask Cheatham about Mary Stuart. Let's see how they respond.    

And by the way, I love Wyndham and Stuart. Also adore Dano and Cheatham.  

• Members

I have no need to re-read what you said.

As it happens, I just asked Dano a question yesterday about Robin Christopher. It was a real question I would love to get an answer on but that probably won't happen. I wouldn't create some artifice to bring up Victoria to her.

I can think of many people where Dano might protect them in certain situations. It doesn't make sense to me for the reasons I said that this instance would be Victoria. 

I join you in loving those people. 

• Members

@watson71 Thank you, I had been meaning to listen to Linda Dano's podcast because I follow her on Instagram, but I hadn't actually tuned in until I read your comment.

It is striking both how much older she sounds, and the ridiculous life of an actor.  I guffawed when Amy Carlson mentioned playing a 1800s forensic detective.  I adore those stories about how the soaps were produced in Brooklyn.  And the idea that they lived in a constant state of anxiety about having to get it all done quickly or be fired was a little sad.

I agree with you and @Mona Kane Croft that she was probably referencing Wyndham because the incident was about a long time actor protecting the portrayal of their character.  Of course, there will always be some people who traffic in uninformed opinions masquerading as insider information.  But, the context clues one gets from actually listening to the podcast make me inclined to agree with you. 

It's ironic that I've never really considered what Victoria Wyndham was like to work with.  The only resource I've consumed was Lemay's book, and I don't recall him having anything negative to say about her as a co-worker.  But, Amy Carlson's story and the recent insight from Cali Timmons suggest she might have been a bit of a pill as time went on.  On the other hand, I think we can all relate to losing patience in the workplace when you've been the same job for a long time.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I don't have any idea who Amy Carlson might be referring to , but just b/c VW was involved in the writing doesn't mean that she would be happy with a particular scene and want to play it a different way.

Speaking of Wyndham and her claims of writing storylines, I wonder why she has never given a hint as to what they were? Would she have received payment for that and if so how would that be handled as she was in an unofficial capacity?

She would hardly have done it for free. And if it were all a bit shady, why mention it at all?

She lost me with that story that Brandon Tartikoff  liked her so he kept AW on the air. Maybe it was a joke but she didn't tell it that way.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

Truthfully, I doubt Wyndham was any more difficult than other soap stars of her era -- Slezak, Luci, Courtney, Fulton, Seaforth, etc.    Although I do remember a couple of print interviews with David Canary upon his exit from AW, in which he said the "star" of the show was a very unhappy person who made life in the Brooklyn studio difficult for most of the other actors --and that he was happy to have been released from his contract.  So, there's that to consider.   Does anyone think Canary may have been referring to Doug Watson??  

Edited by Mona Kane Croft

• Members

In that sense any actor at any time could be unhappy with a given scene, for cause, or not for. 

I don't believe there was anything unofficial about it. 

I am sure she was compensated if they used her material. Of course, they might have invited her to do a 3 month thrust on a storyline & NOT USED IT. But, I do not think there was anything shady about it.

I didn't take it as a joke. I thought it was, to her given the past years with NBC, an amazing & possibly questionable thing, but she heard it & reported it as she did. I thought it was weird. I thought she did, too. 

• Members

I wonder if he wasn't very much a duck out of water there. Of course it was a thankless position to be in. He wasn't George Reinholt. 

Those are two people Pete spoke so glowingly about also. 

I am aware of only one negative about Doug Watson & that is that he was a chain smoker, literally lighting the next one from the last one. But, many actors smoked, even if not that heavily. 

• Members

Certainly, we can give VW the grace that after devoting decades of her life to AW, it must have been tiring to work year after year with new actors and writers that were still learning the ropes while she was trying to perfect her craft.  The old canard about soaps being a training ground is all well and good, until they go off to make big money on a prime time show about forensic detectives in the 1800s, and you're stuck in Brooklyn.

However, much like the Ryan's Hope book, we only know one side of the experience.

Which is why I prefer to discuss memories or what we actually saw on the screen as opposed to backstage stories that always feel like I'm listening to a stranger's office gossip, it doesn't affect me, and I just don't care.

Edited by j swift

• Members

The cast & crew of AW were very savvy, very political, very aware of the warfare between NBC and P&G, very aware that NBC wanted them off the air, very aware that they were under threat of cancellation & as has been noted endlessly there was no way to go do anything once they were there, so they were more of a cohesive unit than some casts & crews were. They pulled together which also meant they closed ranks. I am quite sure they might have seemed - even been - cliquish which wouldn't bode well for being the new kid, at first. And, they also lived & worked with a high degree of stress. Later some other soaps experienced that, too. 

Nevertheless, they worked hard & played when they could & made it work. But that they lived with that stress is something as fans we might be aware of.