Another World

• Members

The "two-hander" (I had never heard of that expression before) episode of Another World was in 1973, when Steve and Alice finally met up and reconciled after their divorce, when he was then married to Rachel. Clips of it are in this youtube video, starting at about 5:16.

The original script had a few other characters set to appear in the episode, but Paul Rauch said he wanted to focus on the Steve/Alice scenes, so they were extended and filled out, and only those two characters appeared on-screen.

Rauch even got P&G to let him move the first set of commercials, so that the day's first act was significantly lengthened and uninterrupted. In a magazine article later on , Jacquie Courtney said that Rauch also made the decision to tape the dress rehearsal, which she appreciated. She said, "I don't think I could have mustered up all that emotion a second time!"

I loathe how Rauch ultimately decimated AW, but even I have to grudgingly give him credit for the wise decisions he made about this specific episode. Watching it live, I was totally mesmerized.

Eddie Drueding is an acknowledged and respected treasure, of course, but he began watching AW long after 1973. If he only had the scripts of that year to rely on, he would have no way to know about the last minute changes to the episode that ended up making it a two-person, special broadcast. 

From The Another World Home Page:

OCTOBER 8, 1973 (EP. #2337)
Alice told Steve she'd heard Rachel say that he was with her the day Alice lost her baby. Steve said he'd never told her that Rachel insisted on being present whenever he saw Jamie because he knew how Alice felt about Rachel. Steve said he married Rachel only to provide a home for Jamie. ***Rachel worried when she phoned from New York and Janice told her Steve wasn't at home. Mary got upset when Russ told her today was the day Steve and Alice were meeting.*** (<<<EDITED OUT OF EPISODE) Alice admitted she couldn't forget what she and Steve had shared together. When she wept that he was married to Rachel, he vowed to free himself. ***Alice thanked Pat for arranging the meeting, feeling hope for the first time in months.*** (<<<EDITED OUT OF EPISODE. AIRED THE FOLLOWING DAY.)

Steve: (To Alice) "I loved you more than anything on earth."

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks @vetsoapfan so much. I should have tagged you, but I didn't want to annoy people with my OCD questions. I had wondered if that might have been somewhere in those clips (I thought it might have been the episode before he went to prison where he asked her to smile), but since those were so many clips, I wasn't completely sure.

It's a shame that this never got any recognition in soap magazines, the way that the Edge episode did (I saw that mentioned in that "101 greatest soap moments of all time" SPW issue). I guess Rauch's and Lemay's hostility toward Courtney and Reinholt overshadowed any memory or discussion of this moment.

Two-hander I mostly just know because that's how EastEnders episodes along those lines are often described by fans, although they don't do them very often now. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Never hesitate to tag me or ask me questions. I enjoy reflecting on soaps of the past.

Some magazines of the day did write about the special Steve and Alice ep. One of them remarked that it was brilliant to do the two-person episode, since the romantic duo was enormously popular, and the fans had been loudly clamoring for a reunion for the pair for a long time.

TEON's Mike-and-Nancy episode was also brilliant, by the way. EDGE was primarily known for its intricate mystery and suspense plots, but Henry Slesar never skimped on characterization or interpersonal relationship drama either. He could throw emotional punches to the audience with the best of the daytime scribes.

Soaps were so powerful in the 1970s!

• Members

If you mean me, March 1977 Daily TV Serials. I can scan the blurb if you wish, but here's the writeup:

The Edge of Night presented one of the most unusual episodes ever seen on a daytime TV serial in late November when an entire show consisted of only two on-screen characters for the entire thirty minutes. It was the show in which Nancy Karr spent her last morning with husband Mike before packing her bags and moving out. Serial historians can remember that only once before - on Another World with Steve and Alice Frame - has a soap opera presented a two-character episode. Edge's episode was superbly written by Henry Slezar [sic], and magnificently acted by Ann Flood and Forrest Compton. This was material that's indeed worthy of Emmy Award consideration this year!

• Members

Absolutely fabulous!! Okay, now Eddie has another ask. Where did this come from: In a magazine article later on, Jacquie Courtney said that Rauch also made the decision to tape the dress rehearsal, which she appreciated. She said, "I don't think I could have mustered up all that emotion a second time!"