Interview with Scott McKinsey

• Members

CZ: Dear Scott, would you please tell us about your career on soap-operas?

SM: I began directing at Guiding Light in 1985, after I observed the other directors there for several weeks. I had very little directing experience prior to that, but I had won two Emmy awards as an editor. Obviously, it did not hurt my chances that my mother, Beverlee was performing on Guiding Light, and that she had been a star for the Procter and Gamble Soaps for several years. That said, my mother played no other part on my behalf except to open the door to her Executive Producer, Gail Kobe. My mother was more surprised than anyone when I showed promise as a director. I had been under contract for 6 years at Guiding Light, when I left to seek work in Los Angeles as a director of prime time television. Unable to find such work, I accepted an assignment to direct an episode of General Hospital in 1992. I began taking weekly assignments soon thereafter, and went on contract in 1993. With the exception of a year spent at As The World Turns in 2002, I have been working for the producers of GH ever since. That has included directing the 2 hour series premiere of Port Charles, as well as many subsequent episodes of PC through its 7 year run. I also directed a few episodes of the GH spinoff Night Shift last year, in their first season.

CZ: You were on GL during one of its best eras, the 80s’. Is there any storyline or any moment you remember most fondly?

SM: My fondest memories at GL invariably revolve around scenes with my mother and the various love stories she had with the likes of HB Lewis and Fletcher Reade. My mother could be very funny and entertaining. So when she would battle her brother, or India Von Halkein, or the Lewises, there was usually a smile on my face. I worked with many of the show's enduring stars, some of them in their first week on the show, like Beth Ehlers. Her love story with Josh was very romantic to me, but it was cut short by Robert Newman's exit from the show for 2 years. The very first person who made me feel at home on the show was Jordan Clarke who was standing off set waiting to tape a scene, and he took the time to welcome me, and answer any questions I might have. Kim Zimmer, Maeve Kincaid, Jerry Ver Dorn, Michael O'Leary and Judy Evans quickly followed to open their arms to me and have remained friends ever since. I attribute part of their generosity to the fondness they had for my mom, but mostly it was due to how wonderful they are as people. The shows on daytime are made up of groups of families, and Guiding Light was no different. The cast and crew often lived near one another, dined together, drove in to work together, and keep in touch with one another even after leaving the show.

CZ: Your mother (Beverlee McKinsey) played the legendary character of Alexandra Spaulding. What could you tell us about her portrayal of the Grande Dame of Springfield?

SM: My mom played two characters for extended periods of time who were very little like her, Iris Carrington on Another World, and Alexandra Spaulding on GL. Her portrayal of Alexandra meant that she had to command scenes as the powerful matriarch of her family, the Spauldings. She had to fight toe to toe with her enemies and family while simultaneously holding her company and household together. My mom was a smart, funny and generous person who brought those qualities to the part of Alexandra. But she was not personally familiar with most of the ingredients which made up Alexandra, so it was a tribute to her tremendous talent that she made the character so believable to the audience as though she had walked in Alex's shoes all her life.

CZ: Her pairing with late Michael Zaslow (ex-Roger) was very popular. What do you think was the dynamic of the duo?

SM: Both characters Alexandra Spaulding and Roger Thorpe are strong, intelligent and charismatic people. The successful chemistry of the two together evolved from these similar characteristics. Beverlee and Michael individually brought tremendous chemistry to any pairing they were ever given on the show. When the two were put together, sparks flew!

CZ: After leaving GL, you went to GH. How would you describe the different tone and atmosphere of both shows?

SM: The shows GH and GL are very different. One focusing on the adventures befalling the core characters and the other featuring the dynamics of inter family conflict. I'll leave you to determine which show is which!

CZ: Have you or your mother watched GL after leaving the show? If you did, what did you think of the show? Do you have an opinion about the reasons of the soap being cancelled?

SM: The show's cancellation was due to many things. GL's ratings were always low, and once it was moved out of its afternoon time slot in the U.S. the show's future was in doubt. I did not watch it enough to be able to say what else was in need of improvement, but I will say that when I did watch, the quality of the show was as great as any other on the air.

CZ: With GL being cancelled, are you worried about the future of daytime soaps?

SM: I am very worried about the future of daytime tv. Any cancellation of any show bodes badly for all the other shows still remaining. I would hope that the networks continue to value the medium of soaps and keep them on the air for as long as the audience is there. People view the shows on their vcr, Tivo, the internet or on Soap Net over the weekend, so our daily ratings may continue to drop if these alternative methods of watching the show are not properly factored in to the evaluation of our true viewership.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

J'ai les doigts croisés pour tes examens, FrenchFan!

Your questions are always well-judged. Scott McKinsey is a director I have always noticed at GH (along with Owen Renfroe). GH's directors, in particular, are very under-appreciated. They work miracles for the show, especially in the way they stage and film the cataclysmic events.

• Members

Great interview, FrenchFan, and I loved what he had to say about his mother.

I'm surprised you didn't ask a question about Jill Farren Phelps. He's worked with her at both GL and GH. From what I've heard, she's always been a director's producer - SB, GL, and GH all won Emmy's for directing under her leadership, the directors love her, and her background is in directing.

Archived