GL: Will The Light Burn Out Out Come Sept?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL. The better one I've been watching lately is the one where she allegedly pounded her fists to the table and ran away crying after Robin Strasser won. You can't see it on-camera, but it's just a hilarious moment to think of Susan Lucci(who was salivating for the Emmy), up against all these actresses who were far better than she was, thinking she had a chance at Emmy Gold against them.

But range.....shhhhh! We should get back on topic before the admins get mad at us! :D

• Members

So dead at the idea of Mrs. Valentine knocking Erica out the way and riding some casket herself...

But that clip really touched me, I have it on original VHS too. :D I do chuckle hearing Myrtle's "Ohhhh dah'lin... don't do this..."

• Members

The best part of that Erica clip is the look on Phoebe Tyler's face. :lol:

Or maybe we simply want them to wait until GL no longer profitable or watchable before they throw away 72 years of history. It's unwatchable to some but it's improved significantly for others and if they are enough to keep it in the black, it should stay on.

How exactly will cancelling the Grande Dame of daytime "restore integrity to the daytime lineup"? I don't get that rationale at all. There is not some grand renaissance waiting in the shadows that will revolutionlize, modernize, and conquer daytime if only GL would get out of the way. The history, the connection the viewer has to the whole tapestry of the show over time is the entire draw of soaps no one has as much to draw on as GL.

Okay, GL doesn't look like a traditional soap anymore and I still have problems with the production model myself but it's improved by leaps and bounds and it's not so bad that it deserves to take the whole show down. It certainly doesn't besmirch the "integrity" of daytime whatever that is. Certainly not anywhere near as much as GH being dominated by woman-hating gangsters, AMC turning into a misogynistic cellpool as well, DOOL firing it's most identifiable star and pushing a bunch of talentless underwear models instead, B&B recycling incest in a neverending-loop if ick, or Elizabeth Hassleback glorifying idiocy on a daily basis.

It depends on the affiliate, I guess. But since almost all of CBS's big market stations are own & operated by them, it won't happen without their express approval. Since virtually all channels who air GL at 9 or 10 AM are O&O's, the possibility is even less likely. The replacement will be either network-aired or at least network approved and syndicated. Plus, in the areas of the country where GL is weakest ratings-wise all of CBS daytime is dwarfed by ABC's lineup so replacing GL might not do a darn thing for CBS in those markets anyway.

I find it hard to see why the hell Bloom would want a View clone on CBS. The show is a bad joke that only works because the bizarre and very specific interactions of it's co-hosts. Without each element working together, there's nothing there. NBC has their version and nobody watches because there no controversy. Manufactured controversy doesn't work so CBS can't try too hard to find their own Hasselback, Behar, etc. ABC hasn't killed their soaps to make room for it either. It precedes them all. Plus, if The View is someone's cup of tea, why would they bother watching some contrived knock-off when they could just watch the original in the first place?

And those millions of people can watch NBC's Today show extensions, or any one of the five 24-hour news and talk cable networks, one of the several human-interest oriented networks, or reruns elsewhere. I just don't see a huge, unfilled need here for a View clone on CBS.

The answer to that is simple: CBS shouldn't be dumb enough to cancel GL unless there is a viable, workable, and profitable alternative. Handing the hour over to the affiliates across the board is simply not an option especially since most of CBS's biggest affiliates are wholly-owned subsidiaries. The network would still be responsible for programming in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Minneapolis, Dallas-Fort Worth, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Denver, and Miami.

That's why you don't cancel it without a good alternative. I'm not blaming CBS for looking at their options. They'd be fools to go into negotiations with P&G without a backup plan but that doesn't mean their options are a good idea.

Hogwash. The soap genre and daytime television itself as we've known it are all dying at roughly the same rate as GL. The entire daytime genre has become so irrelevent that they had to go to some upstart channel to air their awards show. Daytime can cut off it's nose to spite it's face, but it's not gonna get it anywhere. It's not as if AMC, GH, and ATWT are just lighting the world on fire but GL is the singular black-sheep blemishing the radiance of bright shining glory. They're all in big trouble and it is a slippery slope. Passions was irrelevent on many levels so it's cancellation really made little dent but GL is the Grande Dame, like it or not, and it's demise will be the official beginning of the end and the rest will not be far behind. GH is only .2 ratings points ahead of GL right now in HH, costs far more money to produce and publicize, and completely sucks.

• Members

Well said. I couldn't agree more! Especially in regard to your last point about GH being only .2 above GL in HH. GL may be at the bottom of the pack, but aside from that, CBS is still the number one daytime network. All of the other soaps are only a stones throw away from GL's numbers. If they want to cancel GL for it's 1.6/1.7's they might as well cancel all three ABC soaps, ATWT, B&B and Days. Y&R is the only soap still in the upper 3's.

I just don't believe it's going to be canceled this year. Until someone from CBS comes out and says the show is ending on this date, then I'll believe it. I won't be surprised, but I'd expect all daytime executives to consider their numbers and their drama's futures.

Archived