GH to go hi-def?

• Members

I haven't seen this here yet, and wondered if anyone had more info:

Embedded in this site is this little exchange with Bradford Anderson:

Has anyone heard more about this? Is this coincident with the new set? Are the other ABC soaps following suit?

Actually, I not only feel this is overdue, but I feel it is a (surprising) vote of confidence, in what is becoming ABC's lowest-rated soap. Any new investment is a good sign.

Is this a Hollywood thing, or might AMC/OLTL go the same route?

I am excited about a more HD daytime.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, nothing would make me happier than to see MarkH hooked on another soap that isn't B&B nor Y&R. :lol: And if that honour falls on the horrid, terrible, mob-infested GH — it would be... Priceless! :lol: Mark likes his new TV so I bet he'll give GH a try for a few days.

• Members

I know a lot of people love HDTV, but when I watch a show, I usually don't think, "Wow, this looks so much better, I'm loving this show more now," because it's high-def. The only one I might feel that way about is a show which heavily relies on locations, like Survivor (I can't remember if TAR is hi-def). When I watch Brothers & Sisters, or Desperate Housewives, I still have the same likes or dislikes I had before I got the new hi-def TV.

I'm glad that soaps are being given another push towards modern taste, as Mark say, that's a vote of confidence, but the quality of the writing is so horrific (and even the production values aren't as good as JFP would like to believe they are)...

I imagine several of their leading men must be horrified at the thought of what they're going to look like in the unflattering HDTV format.

• Members

I'll sample for visual and auditory appeal.

And to see just how terrified the more aged performers are that EVERY blemish is now revealed (HiDef is a bitch).

But watch again? Nah. My GH is still the one with Lucille at the nurses' station, and Audrey scamming Steve Hardy. Maybe my GH is still the Left-Handed Boy and Ice Princess (but I was young then). I was long gone before Riche/Labine arrived.

• Members

GH is handsdown the UGLIEST show on daytime (GL is another category so i am not counting it). Ugly, drab sets, horrendous makeup and hair, not to mention the worst lighting on television.

Visually, who the hell would want to see this HOT MESS in HD?

If they plan on overhauling the lighting, maybe HD would be an improvement.

Otherwise, disgusting.

AMC is another show I wouldn't want to see in HD either.

• Members

:lol: YES! They need the fire them aaaaaaaaaaaall! Jill and her crew! And I'm so glad Jill's show looks like cr*p: everyone keeps saying she has taste. :blink: My God, just look at her hair and clothes, that'll be proof enough.

• Members

The common denominator in AMC and GH? EARTH TONES! Seriously, why does every set have to be a fugly shade of brown/beige/mustard? The only sets on AMC I like are Fusion, conFusion and the hospital...GH, meh...I cant say I like any of them, I liked the set they had for Sonny's coffee house and Skye and Lorenzo's house, but both of them are long gone.

It's not that earth tones cant be done right and look expensive, look at Y&R...but AMC and GH are so horribly lit that it's hard for them to look anything but amateurish. OLTL has some great sets and it cant be on any better a budget than the other two ABC soaps, so how does the red-headed stepchild manage to have better writing and production than the crown jewel and the golden child?

• Members

Yeah, I'm with you. She once had the ability to make her shows look wonderful. Clearly she has lost her touch and has become a puppet to Frons & Guza. Since she pretty much has no creative control, you would think she'd focus on set decoration.

The best set GH ever had was the redesigned Quartermaine Mansion. That set was beautiful, absolutely stunning! It was a home perfectly suited for Port Charles' wealthiest family. The Q Mansion has been altered four times, maybe five? Anyway, it was the second alteration I believe, the one Monty destroyed on her second reign.

• Members

Does anyone have dates for this? I would like to see a new opening on that show. I thought OLTL was supposed to get a new one too, that would coincide with their 40th Anniversary that took place in 2008. If GH and OLTL get new openings, I wouldn't be surprised if AMC followed next January for their 40th Anniversary. Hopefully ABC will get rid of that dreadful uniform look and create unique openings with real bumpers. I wish CBS didn't have to copy ABC with identical bumpers.

• Members

I actually like the identical bumpers. I dont see why they need to be integrated into the openings, but that's another matter. Besides, aren't AMC the only show still using the black background bumpers? OLTL's are blue and white, and GH's are red and white.

I cant find the site where I read this now...but it said something about GH doing some sort of event to mark the re-opening of the hospital (debuting the new set) and a new opening would premiere that day as well. Still, since I cant find where I read it again and it was only reported in one place, I'd guess taking it with a grain of salt would be a wise move...

ETA: It was here:

New or updated, I'll take whatever I can get. Sarah Brown has been at GH for well over a year now and is yet to be added. Ditto Brandon Barash.

Archived