OLTL: Thumbs DOWN

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had a doctor's appointment this afternoon, and OLTL was on in the waiting room. The TV was above my head, so I listened to the show rather than watch. You don't realize how mind-numbingly awful and trite soap dialogue is (and I'm not singling out OLTL...that's just the show that was on) until you listen and not watch. It was embarrassing. It was a crowded waiting room, and people who were watching were actually laughing at the serious stuff. Personally, I've always loved soaps as an escape and in their defense, it is sometimes difficult to judge a show out of context, but there is a reason why they've always pretty much been the laughingstock of the entertainment industry.

• Members

OMG, I was home sick yesterday and watched B&B for the first time in ages. I was totally mesmerized by the atrocious acting and writing. It was absolutley hypnotic. I felt like I was watching a Saturday Night Live parody of soaps or even "Soapdish." Ronn Moss is really one of a kind, and not in a good way. He had some scenes with LaFlannery. Now I love her, but she was totally phoning it in. Then there's Hunter Tylo and that "actor" who plays her son. Just bad! It's essentially a bargan basement version of Y&R.

• Members

I have to say that I wholeheartedly agree with Carl about the David Vickers character.

I think OLTL appreciates the David Vickers character for all that Tuc Watkins brings to him, but I don't think they take the character seriously. He's a showhorse that they trot out every three months for a ratings bump (which may or may not actually happen), critical acclaim, and a few hollow laughs, that are great at the time, but do little for the development of story or the David Vickers character. Every time he DOES come back more cartoonish than when he last left, from his stints as a TV star, a fry cook at the Bon Jour, and most recently a Buddhist. OLTL is getting stuck in a trap now of trying to outdo themselves every time David returns to the canvas, that he's become so gimmicky that I can't connect to Tuc Watkins' performance like I once used to. I fully expect him to pop out of someone's oversized birthday cake next time in clownface and wearing a speedo with suspenders.

Ultimately, in all the drama OR the comedy, I hope to see some kind of character growth or at least a hint of character direction. David's been a Buchanan for QUITE a while now, but he didn't know he was, so I could forgive the fact that it wouldn't jar David out of the caricaturish slump he's been in, but now that he DOES know, and STILL remained a cartoon, essentially shrugging off the news of his true lineage and leaving town to "pursue his craft" (of acting) basically made no difference and provided no resolution to a story that's been building for... three years (counting Spencer Truman's introduction)?! I consider that a waste, and I enjoy David Vickers' actual SCENES, just not his arc.

For what it's worth, we did get basically one scene of David hoping to be a better person because he respects Bo and feels strongly about it now that he knows he's BO's son, rather than Asa's... and I'm glad we got that, but I have no idea where David formed his opinion about Bo, and I have no idea if we will EVER see the Bo/David relationship actually explored. So was it worth it? Certainly not yet.

• Members

How old is HBS, and would it be believable, I wonder, if she had a daughter who's near 40? Of course, I don't think the show had this in mind when they casted her, my greatest fear is that they simply wanted to de-age her, in order to pair her up with either Todd or John.

• Members

Yeah, Rachel, Todd, Marty, Kevin, Zach and Powell were all in college together. Rachel might have been originally a year or two older than the rest.

The Cancer/Stacy storyline does seem rushed, but that's most likely to accomodate the availability of whichever past evil doer that's been stuntcast as Rex's father. However, the story wouldn't have been improved had the audience been subjected to months of the exploration Stacy's deep seated emotional reasons for her behavior.

As for David, no doubt two thirds of his return will be spent on flashbacks and jokes about him auditioning in Hollywood so Watkins can again mock the "Ghost Whisperer" (like he did with Branco) because he's still bitter that Jamie Kennedy beat him out for the sidekick role vacated by Jay Mohr.

Archived