SoapNet Getting Original

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's funny you brought that up. I always thought that if Soap City were to happen, it would have aired all CBS soaps plus Days. I also think that it most likely would have carried all of the CBS primetime soaps plus shows like Capital, Santa Barbara, and the former P&G soaps. I wouldn't see them picking up anything that had aired on ABC. Days would have been a part of their schedule because of Sony. Having the P&G soaps and the former CBS primetime soaps like Dallas, Falcon Crest and Knots Landing would have brought CBS viewers in who may have stopped watching daytime and through that could have joined again once seeing their soaps on Soap City. I know Soap Net aired Knots and Falcon Crest in the beginning, but hands down if Soap City were to compete with Soap Net, Soap City would have gotten those rights first.

I would like to know what others think Soap City would have been like. I know it's hard to speculate it's outcome for sure, but I don't think it would have shed it's original mission as much as Soap Net has.

• Members

If they wanted to stay on and MAKE money, then yes it would of. People need to understand the concept that soaps don't bring in money anymore which is why SoapNet has turned their attention to other avenues. They still show plenty of soap opera stuff just not daytime but One Tree Hill, 90210 and The OC are STILL soaps they are just primetime soaps. Now those stupid movies they show, not so much.

• Members

Those shows could work if they were well-written and acted, but I don't have high hopes for that at all. We shall see.

You know, I understand that soaps aren't going to bring in the numbers anymore, but if that's the way it's gotta be, they need to stop lying to their audience by calling themselves SOAPnet. That's just blatant disrespect.

• Members

Santa Barbara actually WAS slated to air on SoapCity.

But lots of cable networks have survived without selling out. And sometimes, when you DO sell out as a network, it comes to bite you in the ass. Just ask GSN: "The Network For Poker Games." Unless SOAPnet has plans on creating an online channel dedicated to same-day rebroadcasts and classic soaps(not this SOAPnetic crap that someone has to pay for with Verizon to see), I hope it backfires miserably on them.

And I have serious doubts about Ryan's Hope's survival after this latest wave of programming.

I do think it's a plus that they acquired Gilmore Girls. I've heard many a good things about it. And at least it's better than acquiring Dawson's Creek or The Hills.

• Members

Ugh. I get hostile just flipping past TVLand while channel surfing. In the daytime, it's fine. I was watching "Good Times" this morning and laughing my ass off. But primetime? No thank you. "High School Reunion" is ridiculous, "She's Got the Look" is ridiculous, and this one they have coming up with the older woman dating younger men is ridiculous too. Has absolutely nothing to do with classic television at all, and neither do the movies they continually show. I can respect them for no longer using the "classic TV" slogan, however. "TVLand" can be interpreted to have several different meaning, but "SOAPnet" is pretty straightforward: it's a network for SOAPS.

The cable net that I love the most right now is Hallmark Channel. Their core audience is well over 55, they know it, and they embrace it. "The Golden Girls" was a brilliant pick-up for them.

I agree. They're only keeping it on because they know that there's a devoted fanbase for it. They run absolutely no promos at all for it, keep it in the graveyard timeslot, and there isn't even a page for it on the website anymore. It's a shame how they just [!@#$%^&*] on the show.

IMO, Dawson's would have been better than Gilmore.

According to this, Gilmore is going to start in April and only air two episodes each on Saturday and Sunday nights. It says 9PM and 10PM (eastern) for Saturdays and 6PM and 7PM for Sundays. The GH marathon is gonna be pushed up to accommodate the Sunday airings, but there's no word on what's going to happen to the Saturday night Y&R marathon. If they mess that up, I'm gonna be one real pissed off viewer. I usually watch that marathon on Saturday nights and go out afterwards!

• Members

ABC Family had the rights to the GG re-runs before, so they're just keeping it in the family - moving it to another Disney network. ABC Family has already run through the whole series a few dozen times, so I'm sure they're just tossing GG off on Soapnet because their ratings have dropped.

• Members

from SoapNet's website

SOAPnet will start airing all seven season of "Gilmore Girls" starting Saturday, April 4th. You can rely on us for your Lorelei lovelife fix every Saturday at 9 and 10pm, and every Sunday at 6 and 7pm

Interesting--wonder where there Y&R block will go?

• Members

I watched one episode of MVP and I thought it was wretched. These "reality" shows are a dime a dozen and there are already many more interesting versions on WE or Oxygen.

At least when AMC dumped everything their channel was meant to represent, they eventually changed the name and came up with a few high-quality programs.

There are so many networks that have gone from showcasing classic TV to dumping it, like Nick at Nite, TV Land, FX (I still miss the original FX in the big apartment), but Soapnet was the only channel which was about soaps. Now it's about bad Tori Spelling movies and stuff the Canadians probably force out of their country in a heartbeat.

Why can't they show stuff like You Can't Do That on Television? At least show us some entertaining Candian programs. And Alanis Morisette is edgy, circa 1996, which is where Frons seems to be anyway.

• Members

I do have to say that I've seen some people refer to SOAPnet's movies as Lifetime movies, and as a huge fan of Lifetime movies, NO. NO. NO. NO. Lifetime movies would be a huge step up from most of the movies SOAPnet shows. Lifetime movies are actually soapy. "Outrageous Fortune," "Clue," and "My Boyfriend's Back" are not.

SOAPnet just needs to find one identity and stick to it. If they want to be the new teen drama network, I could get behind that and support that if they went full steam ahead. I'd flove a channel that showed original 90210, The OC, Dawson's Creek, Friday Night Lights, Swans Crossing, Hollyoaks, and all incarnations of Degrassi. But don't call it "SOAPnet" and try to be two stations at once.

Archived