SoapNet Getting Original

• Members

the thing with networks like SoapNET, TVLand, etc.... is they NEED to make these changes. They HAVE to add the newer shows and whatnot. To survive. To turn a profit, or mroe of a profit.

They just do. Look at the few soapnet ratings we have gotten, the soap reruns on the weekends wasnt working. The moves do well. And as for that "then change the name!" bullshit... please, its still airs soaps. its still 80%+ soap or soap opera type things.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Right. I'm all for them going on ahead and making changes and what-not to stay afloat. But hell, I don't HAVE to like it. There's a difference between saying "SOAPnet sucks, I rarely watch" and "SOAPnet sucks, it makes no sense for them to air their high-rated shows all day long."

And honestly, a name change is just something that I think is owed to the audience who's been watching the channel for years. Just a way to say "Look, we appreciate all that you've done for us over the years, but we're no longer the channel we used to be, we're going into a different direction, and we're starting over. Thanks."

• Members

See, this is the truth.

Commercial TV _is_ about selling. So, honestly, "selling out" is not a bad thing. It is the reality of staying alive.

JP explains why it happens. Until we find a way to make the networks profitable in their original concept, they will evolve like this. I'm not saying it is a good thing...hell, it is probably "tyranny of the masses". But it is the economic reality of an advertiser-supported medium.

• Members

But why do they have to add reality shows? And "I Love the 80's Ripoffs"? Why couldn't they pull together what little money they have and do a 15 or 30 minute soap for thirteen weeks, seasonal?

And you don't have to sell out to survive. Just ask the folks at GSN, who sold out and almost lost everything. Those poker tourneys didn't do jack [!@#$%^&*] for their network. I still believe SOAPnet will do the same thing. The reruns and movies will get them higher ratings now, but if they abandon their soap format(especially without changing the name), I don't think the soap audience will want to stick around.

If they did do a name change and slogan change, it might attract more eyeballs. But SOAPnet, to many people, still carries a negative connotation.

I still believe the only way SOAPnet can appease both its artistic credibility and gain commercial profit is by offering the services fans want online for free(with ad supported content, of course). That way, there can be two channels.

Wow. How sad.

Archived