Y&R: Billy Miller / Liz Hendrickson

• Members

I love that these two served DG and CK, and acted circles around them. Lily and Cane are now not two crappy actors put out front and center and passing as half-decent, the work of their colleagues shows everyone how dead and dry and absolutely bland they are.

I love Billy Miller as an Abbott... I never really saw David Tom, but this is the first time I've seen Billy with any real depth or substance... I like him as being a little smarmy, a bit shifty... but totally smooth. Awesome boisterous young brother to the sometimes-stalwart Jack and the tough but loving Ashley who differs from Nikki in the respect that she doesn't knowingly let Victor trample all over her (when she finds out about his shenanigans to keep her out of Jabot and play into his hands at Newman she'll let him have it)

at any rate Abbott is better than that David Carusoe wannabe they had most recently. He sure didn't last long

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Talk about flaming....

But I'll bite. I don't think DG is some academy award winning actor. In fact I do think Billy Miller is doing way better than him. However EH and CK are both fine actresses. There's absolutely nothing that makes EH better than CK when it comes to acting.

And at the end of the day CK has been the show for a long time and if the people in charge at Y&R had a problem with her they would do something about it. And obviously they don't have a problem and she continues to get her check from them.

So this thread is really quite useless (aside from providing an arena to bash 2 actors.

• Members

not really meant to flame specifically, I just think it's funny how Billy/Chloe are catching on more than TPTB expected probably due to the way they were written as backburner to Cane and Lily, and the two underdogs ended up outshining the couple that's been rammed down our throats.

• Members

And how exactly are you measuring that?

I mean if you're by this board then I'll agree that EH and BM are way more popular than DG and CK. However this board represents a fraction of all the viewers of Y&R...and even then I suspect that it's more based on hatred for CK as opposed to fair evaluation in some peoples cases.

For me I think both girls are fine actresses that are playing very different roles and are doing them in an excellent manner. The writers want Lily to be and act a certain way and CK delivers that and she does it very well. EH is supposed to be a b*tch an she does that very well.

DG is supposed to be holier than thou and the golden boy who can do no wrong while BM is a rascal. The only difference is that DG seems a little forced in his scenes and not as natural as any BM.

• Members

"Lily" is a snoozer character for me. I fall asleep watching her as her scenes FF by. I don't know what it is with the character, but I didn't even like AMBER until Chloe and Amber became buddies over the Lily-Colleen's treatment of them... not that Lily and Colleen weren't right in their assessment of the pair, LOL!

Lily wasn't so bad with Daniel, but that's been about the extent of my tolerance for her. Love Chloe and Billy. Their mothers are so alike in some ways - poor girls made good, Esther less so, and always so desperate for a man's attention that there wasn't enough left over for the two of them. They just work.

• Members

Lol umm am I supposed to feel bad because of that post? It's not like I'm the only one who feels that way about JERk...the guys attitude towards the audience and his horrible storylines were a complete abomination to me. Sorry but he was a monster from what I knew of him (which is his work at Days and Passions).

And unlike you I didn't nor will I ever create a thread dedicated to bashing the man. I only posted there in reply to the original poster's info regarding Thaoo

• Members

Look, here's the thing.

Billy and Chloe were brought on as agitators. YES, these are strong performers...both proved their chops on a previous soap where the widespread perception was that they were better than the material they got. Theyhave the kinds of characters that viewers usually grab on to: quippy, bad, but wanting to be good (well, Billy anyway).

In that sense Goddard and Khalil have worked against different obstacles.

Yes, Khalil is far "softer" than one would expect of Dru's daughter, and of one who has had so many traumatic life experiences. But, time and again, the WRITERS AND PRODUCERS have chosen this angle, with this writing, and this portrayal. They FIRED another actress (whom some liked) to get this portrayal back. So honestly, without any agenda, it is time to let this go. This is Lily, and she is -- and will remain -- the core young heroine for some time to remain.

(I personally like much of the way Lily handled things the last few days...but that is a different story).

As for Goddard, I simply do not understand the hate. Let's be clear that the poor man was hobbled with awful writing until last year. Insta-son for Jill. Duped by Amber. Briefly bad. ("I'm in!"). Then foolishly heroic (scaling pipes with JT in Clear Springs). Then duped again. The basis of his story was so weak, too. (Who, who is not a devout Christian, in 2008-9 would leave the "love of my life" for a skank like Chloe...even if she is with child). Cane and Lily had to play the dewy-eyed foolish idiots for the whole past year.

I think Goddard has the chops to do lots of good work...and I personally like the idea that he got all "HurriCane" on Billy lately (see my avatar of the moment).

In the end, though, I feel threads like this...which do not offer criticism of a performance...but ad hominem attacks on performers...often without a clearly established evidential basis...do nothing for the culture of communities like this. That is just my opinion. The enduring Cane/Lily story tells me the show creative types are getting EXACTLY what they want.

If there is blame to lay, I'd lay it at Arena Bell, Sheffer, Rauch, and others.

Let's also face it: Some people CANNOT get past this story -- especially Cane -- because he is the product of LML and one of the most horrible retcons on this show since Jill-Kay became mother-daughter. Again, that is not the actor's fault.

I personally feel that Y&R has scored a bevy of good casting choices these last few years, even through the behind-the-scenes Sturm and Drang. Goddard, Steinberg, Miller, Engen, Schmidt. The only one who misfired for me was Podell...but many of you liked him. But, then I again, I also like Rikaart and Graziadei and Luckinbill and Morrow...so I may swim against the stream here.

• Members

However this board represents a fraction of all the viewers of Y&R...and even then I suspect that it's more based on hatred for CK as opposed to fair evaluation in some peoples cases.

RW you're quickly becoming my hero. Appreciate the objectivity you and MarkH bring to this specific topic. If CK and DG were as terrible as some love to proclaim then Lily and Cane would have went the way of Sabrina,David, River, etc. MAB has no qualms about ending SLs and characters that don't work.

As for Lane being rammed down our throats well that honor goes to Victor and Sabrina, the Useless quad, Gloria, etc.

Lily and Cane basically had their hands tied behind their backs during this SL in order for Billy and Chloe to be established. Now that the truth is out Lane can finally operate on an equal playing field.

I actually enjoy the bickering and banter between Billy and Chloe, however I don't see any sexual chemistry. For me EH, like PB, falls flat in the romance dept.

• Members

Except EH does nuance, subtext, and elevates what's written on the page, while CK sleepwalks through her scenes and rarely makes any kind of acting choice with her character. EH sparkles and so Chloe sparkles, while CK is dull, so Lily is dull.

And it has nothing to do with the writing of the character as a young heroine. Marcy Walker played young heroine Eden on SB but always managed to keep her feisty & interesting. She knocked it out of the park every single episode. CK, meanwhile, stumbles along and is seemingly afraid to give her character a 3rd dimension.

The original post is correct: Billy Miller & Elizabeth Hendrickson have energized Y&R's younger set.

• Members

Actually, it's not that Lily/Cane are on the frontburner, but rather that the idea that they share some perfect tender love has been shoved down our throats. Acting is about taking the writing to another level. Right now, Goddard & Khalil are having trouble keeping their heads above water.

As for popularity being the equivalent of raw, talented acting, I've got four words for you: Maurice Benard :mellow: Steve Burton :mellow:

• Members
I so agree with this statement! Cane was far more interesting when he first came to GC. The only pairing that I've ever liked CK's Lily with was Daniel.

I agree, BM and EH have added some spark back to the younger set; I've actually not been interested in the younger set since Leon was fired but that's for another thread.

• Members

Thanks for the comments. I really do appreciate it.

And I completely agree regarding the writers and what they would have done if she wasn't cutting it.

@ MarkH

Thank you so much for your objectivity your comments regarding Lily specifically. I have been watching Y&R for years now and I also saw DS as Lily. I also liked her version of Lily as well. I mean that scene with Dru on Youtube where she confronts her mom about Neil not being her real dad? Or her scenes with Dru where she basically blackmails her into supporting her getting back together with Daniel? Pure gold. So I can understand why people like DS. However like you said the writers have chosen a "personality type" (if you will) for Lily and CK fits the bill.

And I think she's done and continues to do a more than fine job for the role she earned.

That being said I don't think it's beyond CK to do fierce or be exactly like Dru if that's what the writers required of her. I just don't think it's impossibility. Maybe some think it is because CK looks like your typical all happy no stress beautiful carefree girl that she can't pull off anything other than bubbly airhead. However I don't judge a book by its cover and I'm fairly certain that CK is more than capable of doing whatever the writers ask of her.

CK does the exact same things you mentioned when given the material. All those things you pointed out are a result of the situation Chloe has been placed in. Having this secret. Being portrayed as a liar and schemer. Of coures she's gonna have to make things look a certain away and part of the deception is in the eyes. Lily is supposed to be honest and not really show anything beneath the surface since there's nothing hiding there...

In short CK is not dull. If she were so horrible and dull the writers would noticed eons ago and fired her. Yet they haven't because they know that she's doing a fine job and that she has plenty of fans and people who think she's doing a great job at the role she's been assigned.

LMAO at your picture MarkH! That's hilarious!

• Members

Cameron Mathison is the worst example, he has managed to pull a 15 year career out of the success of his original romance with Gillian on AMC. They had a fantastic banterous chemistry. It was the only time I thought he was written as interesting. Since then he has been the hero of every storyline, and he has not improved one iota in the acting department to justify his LEAD status. He is famous for one thing, being a beef cake boytoy kept around for his so called looks.

Daniel G isn't even in that same category, because although he's good looking, he hasn't really hit it off to beefcake fame. Maybe it's because Y&R doesn't have as many shirtless scenes or sex in general. I didn't mind him with Amber but that's because AF carried the couple. I think the popularity of Lane is like the popularity of Tridge on B&B, they look so beautiful together, they should be together. They really never had anything that elevates their romance to supercouple status and don't have a single adventure together to speak of. Instead, they've just had an easy time of it until adversaries were thrown in their path to give them interest. I think a couple should have more to offer than that.

I suspect that one of the reasons why more and more are pulling for Billy and Chloe is that they are the CHARACTERS in the group. They actually have personalities and more driving them then just being victims of the machinations of others. I can see either one of them fitting into other characters storylines seamlessly whether it be business, family or pleasure.

What romance has EH had to play? The flashback romance scenes from NY with Billy? I thought they were ok, but that was his first week or so on the show. I don't think they were very comfortable together and he had not yet worked out where to take the character. I'm looking forward to the nasty fights and jealousy scenes that are sure to lead to hot sex before I make my judgements.

Did EH have any love scenes on AMC? I kinda quit watching between the time that they brought her in as Frankie, made the mistake of killing her off, and then introduced the twin sister Maggie.

I really think that EH and BM can be the future leads and have years of on and off romance on the show while others will fizzle out once left to their own devices. My hope is that Billy and Chloe will have gotten themselves tied together forever with the baby and marriage before

hits the scene and throws a monkey wrench in the whole thing.

Archived