Your Dream B&B Writing Team

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think Brad needs to be completely ousted. He just needs someone to help him focus on what made the show great and get the show back to revolving around those. He's been writing this show from the beginning, including 16 years as HW, and he's shown that he's capable of putting out good stories in that time. But with recent shows, it seems like he's just moving from story to story without any clear direction.

Thinking about Maria Arena Bell's recent interview w/TV Guide Canada about how the vision for Y&R is hers with Sheffer, Hamner and the rest of the writing staff supporting that, I think Brad needs to follow that model. B&B hasn't really had a strong vision or direction in months, and Brad, either alone or with a strong co-HW, needs to reestablish B&B's vision and then get his team to execute it. Like bandbfan said, Kay Alden is supposed to be that right hand, but I just don't get the same feeling with her that I did when Jack Smith had that role for years. Maybe Smith (who had the role before and knows the characters a lot better than Alden) or Meg Bennett (who wrote for B&B long ago and had a stint as creative consultant on B&B) might be better fits for that role.

As for EP, I don't see any reason to remove Brad from that role. I don't see any glaring gaps in the production that would warrant someone else taking the helm, especially since Bill and Lee Bell kind of built B&B to be a legacy that only their family owns. Sure there are things that can be improved, like the scenes filmed on the outdoor set, but I think Brad can handle those just as well as some outsider being brought in.

• Members

Well, Brad will be EP and HW for as long as he chooses to be. The show is HIS, his family owns it outright, the only people who have any say are the Bells. Case closed.

I just think Brad needs a vacation, he's burnt out. I happen to like the B&B team and find the show rather enjoyable.

Archived