Frons vs Bloom

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Frons, he has destroyed the entire ABC Daytime lineup. He's a chauvinistic, ageist, sexist, pig. That said, I think he does give a damn about ABC Daytime...he just doesn't understand what the audience wants AT ALL. Plus, his comment about the audience needing to be 'trained' just insulted the hell outta me.

Bloom is all bark and no bite. Legally, she can't do very much because CBS doesn't own any of their shows. I could care less about ATWT and GL...thankfully the Bell soaps have a 'respectful' relationship with the network, keeping Y&R and B&B under the Bell vision. That said, she suggested LML to be the EP and HW of Y&R and for that she will always be toxic sh*t in my book.

Off with their heads!

• Members

Agreed. Frons has made a lot of bad decisions in terms of storylines and those he chooses to run the shows. It's truly baffling how he has lasted as long as he has. I don't know as much about Bloom but she doesn't strike me as being as incompetent as Frons.

• Members
I never heard that Frons said that but somehow it doesn't surprise me. Bloom, from what I've heard, just wants the power however, the LML fiasco didn't put her on the fast track to achieve that. She should've been fired along with her best bud LML.

• Members

I actually don't understand this animus, and I wonder if any of it comes from a misunderstanding of how much sh*t the networks are in?

Because I know it best, I'll use Y&R as an example. Y&R, as a product, is doing fine. It is the top rated soap (having lost oodles of viewers), but when you add 7-day DVR views plus Soapnet + legal internet streams, it gets 8-10 million viewers/show. Moreover, the income base is further expanded by international distribution in over 30 countries.

CBS, on the other hand, is in trouble. I have posted ratings charts in the past that show, if you follow Y&R's CBS-broadcast trajectory, there is no hope. HH Ratings, at the current rate, will fall below 1.0 somewhere around 2015 or 2016.

So, now we have a paradox. The PRODUCT is flourishing, but the DELIVERY PLATFORM is dying.

For someone like Frons or Bloom, nothing nothing nothing can fix their problem. The loss of network viewers has many causes. How frustrating must it be for Bloom, for example, to see a show like Y&R flourishing and growing...but her network is not getting to experience or enjoy any of it???

So, for all network executives, it is rather like being an exec in a financial company or an automobile company. Hopeless. Beyond hope. No money left in the kitty. Honestly, nothing left but to figure out an exit strategy.

Meanwhile, cable--bolstered by licensing fees AND advertising AND niche markets that make it easier to target advertising (thereby freeing them from the demographic chase) AND usually lower cost programming--continues to grow. How horrible for Bloom and Frons, who cannot compete.

Now, from what I can tell, Bloom at this point is fairly powerless. Certainly with her two Bell shows, where she can only send notes that are "respected" (but mostly disregarded). I'm not so sure about P&G, since it is not clear to me which suits (P&G or CBS) are killing those shows. So, my sense is that Bloom is largely ineffectual.

Frons is a horse of a different color. Because ABC OWNS those shows (what an awful thing!), there is no firewall or "checks and balances" between the suits and shows. Obviously, there are some economic benefits (few levels for $$ to pass through, so ABC can make money without having to pay fixed license fees to production houses; also, they can much more flexibly adjust their cash outlays without waiting for show-contracts to expire. So, I'd venture to say Frons is more capable of, and has shown more proclivity for, corporate interference.

But honestly, I'd urge us all to step back from the hatred. Truly, these people are in the most hopeless positions in the entertainment business right now.

• Members

Oh but MarkH, you just don't know what Frons has done to ABC Daytime, especially AMC and GH. At all the shows Frons has purged the shows of any history that predates his reign. Most notably, Frons has fired vets who hit 'a certain age'

Jackie Zeman

Stuart Damon

Anna Lee

Julia Barr

These are 4 names in a sea of many others who got the shaft after DECADES of service to ABC Daytime. These actors were pushed out because they were over 50, it's as simple as that.

I'm in an vain business. My job is to make people look better but DAMN if I just don't loathe someone for discriminating against someone else based on their age. It disgusts me.

So yes, Frons and Bloom have jobs that are headed to nowhere. But tough sh*t those are the jobs they went for. Frons had a flourishing career in Europe and the USA prior to his run at ABC and Bloom probably could have done well on cable as an executive. I hate these two because they are a**holes. Simple as that.

• Members

I'm going to have to say Frons. If I were a fan of ATWT and GL, I would probably say Bloom, but I'm not. Bloom doesn't seem to have much impact on Y&R anymore, and I don't she's ever dared dabbed her hands in B&B. So that's why I don't mind her much anymore. Frons, on the other hand, he gets too involved. He's not a writer and someone needs to remind him that. He's the reason I don't like GH. I just hope he never realizes that OLTL is the best soap on ABC right now and decides to start managing them and promoting them. It'll turn out the exact opposite.

• Members

As much as I hate to say this... Bloom for me. Frons is a man I don't like, everything he says irks me, just his picture rubs me the wrong way and I don't like how he micromanages. But... He does seem to care about the genre actually having success and life--even if many of his decisions to help that strike me as wrong headed.

It's funny that when SHapiro headed ABC Daytime before Frons she seemed to be almost ineffective in theother way. Completely ignoring her shows creatively (and they all suffered in that era--in hindsight maybe not as badly as now but really, creatively, it was under her that all three shows took their first massive slumps that we still see the effects of) and focusing all on Shopping with the Soaps etc...

How I wish Behr had gotten the position.

I think he's made some *decent* hires. When he came in he saw that AMC and OLTL were down--looked at the last time their ratings were really high and respected and then rehired those writers (McTavish and Malone/Griffith). Now in both cases to different amounts they weren't able to make their magic--for a myriad of probs but a big one being that under Frons' ABCDaytime they simply didn't have the power to. But on paper it was a smart decision.

Archived