Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's outrageous. tbh I am tuning their crap out and just waiting for the eleventh hour when Manchin swans in to some press gaggle complaining about Jackson based on stuff he saw on Fox News. It is clear based on recent hijinks and rationales that he is among their devoted racist senior demographic.

• Members

With transphobic laws on the books, Roe probably gone soon, and birth control and gay marriage next, I'm not surprised the GOP are  looking for the next rallying cry. He half-heartedly walked some of this back after making sure the trial balloon was floated. I saw various out of touch "we need to run ads on this because  it will hurt Republicans, why aren't we smart like Republicans," type tweets going around. With the help of the media, the GOP could make this a prize wedge issue again in no time at all. 

Judge Brown has been very courteous in the face of extremely ugly attacks. I too am expecting Manchin  to ultimately oppose and derail her nomination, especially as it is a sure way to get media attention. We'll see, I guess.

• Members

As the product of what I consider to have been an interracial marriage - my mother is half-Black, half-Muscogee (Creek) Indian; my father was half-Indian, half-Chinese - I find Sen. Braun's comments to be appalling, and terrifying.

• Members

So in a week we have a Republican Senator raging against Obergefell (same-sex marriage). One hoping Griswold (right to contraception) goes away. And now this with interracial marriage.

At some point people should start taking Republicans at face value. They are not *hiding* it. They won't stop with Roe, which is going to be horrible enough.

At a minimum Democrats really should stop clinging to the rhetoric of SCOTUS as some kind of impartial arbitrer. It is a highly political institution that is implementing an extreme political agenda as the supposedly non-political proxy of conservative Republicans who know their agenda is unpopular if proposed directly to the people.
And continuing to enable a veneer of respectability to the rogue actions of these political agents, before we even get to how illegitimate the current conservative majority on SCOTUS is, is effectively giving them leeway to do what they want without repercussions.

The fact ordinary Democratic voters who don't follow politics closely rre still giving high marks to the SCOTUS in poll after poll is a galling failure.

• Members

The problem is that most of the voters who show  up to vote, and whose votes aren't being repressed, aren't going to care that much about most of these issues. Many of the voters who are now being curated as the  only voters have  no real objection to extreme abortion bans, the end of birth  control, interracial marriage, or gay marriage. They are about to die, extremely conservative, rich and know they won't be affected, or all three. I saw a viral tweet bragging about how interracial marriage is "a fight we can win." That this is already being framed as a fight - a fight that a media that would sell their entire family to be able to bathe Trump's feet would absolutely love to dive into - shows you which side has  "won." It would also likely be used as a wedge issue, gleefully, as many non-white voters also oppose interracial  marriage for various reasons.

Some who might be concerned are still swayed to media coverage that downplays all of these concerns. CNN, for example,  ran a huge headline about Cruz grilling Brown on CRT. The ugly smears against her and the callous way she was spoken to don't matter to them. Secretly, I imagine many of them get a kick out of seeing her degraded.

I think a number of Democrats do know how out of control SCOTUS is, but there are no solutions in place to deal with it. The real solutions were if those we were so often told were wiser and able to get through, like RBG, had retired at the proper political time.  

Edited by DRW50