AMC/ABC: So Agnes Nixon is consultant?

• Members

I could care less about th ebudget cuts ;) what got my attention was they quoted Agnes Nixon and she mentioned being a paid consultant (for all of ABC Daytime?) I knwo she has had that role off and on since the late 70s, but didn't knwo whse was invovled with AMC in any official capacity for a while now. Do we know when she actually got this position or anything more? man I wish I could interview the lady...

"http://www.daytimeconfidential.com/2008/11...ildren-pay-cuts

This just in. All My Children and One Life to Live creator Agnes Nixon has confirmed to Advertising Age that massive pay cuts have indeeed taken place at one of her two ABC soaps!

"All the actors on 'All My Children' have been reduced [in salary]," said creator Agnes Nixon, who also created the ABC soap "One Life to Live" and is now a paid consultant to the network's daytime division. "Susan Lucci, Michael Knight and Ray McDonald have all been reduced -- substantially. And so have I, as a consultant. The ratings are not the same."

"

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She has always been a consultant its just her influence has been debated over the years. B&E were quoted saying they worked with her when they first came aboard and Frons has threw her name out a couple of times too. I doubt she has any real significant power though and then there is of course the writer's strike issue when the stuff was just tooo good to be anyone other but Agnes Nixon's pen....

I don't think anyone really knows anything except those deep in the daytime division at ABC.

• Members

She might attend story meetings, I mean I like to tell myself she sort of has a hand in things (especially when things are good).

Pratt by no stretch am I comparing to Ms. Nixon but he seems to have a handle on what the core values of AMC are so I'd like to think he has had discussions with her.

• Members

I can't help but wonder if Mrs. Nixon's "position" has more to do with reverence than any sort of real power. I don't know the particulars of her contract, but I'm guessing that she's someone they turn to out of duty rather than desire. Of course she's a genius and they should be at her feet begging for crumbs.

• Members

I remember sometime around 2000 that Agnes was signed as a consultant to ABC Daytime as a whole. That said, I think that was a patronage position and she really only involves herself at AMC. I don't think she has a tonne of power, but I think she has some influence. If she didn't she wouldn't be there.

Interesting that even La Lucci's pay was cut, you'd think that she'd have a contract that would be iron clad that way. Of course, La Lucci is RICH and loves the show and loves to work, so she's probably OK with taking a cut.

• Members

She's been a consultant for a while. I thought everyone knew that. C'mon Eric! :lol:

Anyway, I remember an article about 4-5 years ago where Frons said something to the effect that Agnes is very important to All My Children and that they had just renewed her contract. So by that, I knew she was consulting. Though I find it strange that she has never been credited as a consultant.

• Members

I'm happy just for my own selfish reasons. I've loved the show since the beginning of time and would hate to see it disappear.

However, it sucks to have to take a pay cut. I would never wish that one anyone. I just hope it doesn't make these actors, writers, producers, etc. bitter about coming to work. I hope they know that we really appreciate them and enjoy being entertained. :D

• Members

Clearly. Anybody who writes a horrible storyline for Kendall OBVIOUSLY has no real writing ability whatsoever. Anything else that is good on this show has been ghostwritten by Agnes... because a woman who has written soaps for 40+ years will gladly and willingly refuse to take credit for writing stories for her OWN CREATION.

All jokes aside, I believe she's a "consultant" in the most strict sense of the word. TPTB will say, "Yo, Aggie... what do you think about this?" and then she will say what she thinks, give her opinion, and that's the end of the day. I think it's up to the hired and credited writing staff to either listen to her or not.

Again, I doubt if she were really a hands-on consultant, her 1973 abortion story would NEVER have been "unaborted"

Archived