TV Guide's SOAPnet Rant

• Members

The Hills are Alive

When did Soapnet become the Beverly Hills 90210 Channel? The ABC/Disney-owned outlet currently runs repeats of the old Aaron Spelling series a whopping 28 times per week. It's also devoting November 28-the day after Thanksgiving-to a 12-hour marathon called "Kelly's Leftovers" about Kelly Taylor and all the men she loved and left behind. The day is valuable real estate. Wouldn't ABC be better off re-airing its daytime soaps-especially the much improved All My Children-to lure lapsed viewers who happen to be home over the holiday? Apparantly not. "We think our audience will want to curl up with something old, familiar and nostalgic," says ABC ratings publicity director Catherine Lord, adding that "our 90210 marathon last Labor Day was SOAPnet's second-highest-rated acquired-series marathon ever. No. 1 was a 90210 marathon in 2006. The show brings us 50 percent more viewers than our daytime soaps." In other words, get used to it

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Those ratings tell the tale. They cannot afford to do anything else. SN is a business, and 90210 is a business decision: More viewers, in a more desirable demographic.

Seriously, we don't have to watch it (I seldom do, anyway)...but we do have to get over it, I'm afraid.

Archived