Y&R: Which Phyllis?

• Members

I have been watching some 1997 Y&R episodes, so I came to think about Michelle Stafford and Sandra Nelson. I really like MS. She can do borderline psycho, manipulative, tense very well and I have been enjoying her for years (until Phyllis was lobotomized). But, I think that Sandra Nelson is the ultimate Phyllis to me. I don't know why--she always seemed more fierce, stronger than MS's Phyllis.

This thread is not to bash either of the actresses, so please everyone keep that in mind. :)

I love them both, personally, it's just that I think I see SN more as Phyllis than MS. What do you guys think?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There were two completely different interpretations of the role.

I think Stafford is much better with conveying the vulnerable side of Phyllis, where Nelson was better with the psycho stuff. In the end though, Stafford is Phyllis, it's really the writing that's killed the character over the years. Not to mention, Stafford has been incredibly lazy after the affair with Nick ended.

Stafford also has/had more of a sexy edge to her than Nelson, who well, wasn't sexy at all IMO.

• Members

I haven't seen much of Bell's writing for MS's Phyllis, so maybe I can't really compare. Though I have to completely agree with you on Stafford's sexy edge, which Nelson didn't have. And, yeah, Nelson didn't do vulnerable all that well. But I guess she was perfect for what she was meant to do in that story?

• Members

Oh you definitely have to see early Bell written Phyllis with Stafford in the role. Did you know Bill Bell only intended to have Phyllis and Stafford on the show for 13 weeks, as a roadblock for Danny and Christine? But he was impressed with Stafford and the role that he decided to make the character a long-term fixture.

I loved how zany early Phyllis was, and it also helped that she hated 'The Bug' who I never could stand.

• Members

I will definitely keep an eye out for that. I have seen her in different scenes via YouTube, but that's not merely enough. And I had no idea that he wasn't planning to keep her around--but it doesn't surprise me that he did!

I absolutely loved the Phyllis/Christine hatred. But I do like Christine. :lol:

• Members

Sandra Nelson was more subtle and played everything straight which made Phyllis more humorous and menacing at the same time. Similar to Jess Walton compared to Brenda Dickson, I could feel and believe all of the backstory and what situation Phyllis had gotten herself into. Stafford has completely lost it IMO. She's a complete cartoon and plays everything one note these days. I won't lie and say she wasn't great in her day, but she is laughable these days. I think she needs a break from Phyllis so she can explore other roles and come back when she and the writers are more devoted to the role.

It's a shame she's viewed as such an important presence because the characters day is truly done. She needs a break.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Sep 20 2008, 02:16 AM)
Sandra Nelson was more subtle and played everything straight which made Phyllis more humorous and menacing at the same time. Similar to Jess Walton compared to Brenda Dickson, I could feel and believe all of the backstory and what situation Phyllis had gotten herself into. Stafford has completely lost it IMO. She's a complete cartoon and plays everything one note these days. I won't lie and say she wasn't great in her day, but she is laughable these days. I think she needs a break from Phyllis so she can explore other roles and come back when she and the writers are more devoted to the role.

It's a shame she's viewed as such an important presence because the characters day is truly done. She needs a break.

Thank God someone said it! She really needed to be on for those 13 weeks and — gone! The most obnoxious character ever.

• Members

Michelle Stafford is the only Phyllis I enjoy watching .... even now. No one can change gears or work with ANYONE and make it work like "the Stafford". The character reminds me alot of Rachel from Another World, started out being the vixen and man strealer and over the years (like real people do) she has morphed into a classic character. I mean do you really expect Phyllis to be the same person at 40 that she was at 20??? I am not the same person, I have mellowed, why can't my soap opera character mellow with falling in love and becoming a true parent to both of her kids and step parent to Noah??? Phyllis still has her edge, we have seen some of it this past week. I don't think the problem is with Michelle as much as it is with the new writing regime, they just don't know how to write for Phyllis. I loved the Phyllis during the "Cassie dies/Hunt for Daniel and Lily/the trial and the aftermath. MS chewed up the screen and made some other characters look like cartoon characters...she has that ability. But when you are given crappy lines and scenes, what do you expect her to do.....re-write her dialogue????? Why blame MS for what she is give by the writers....maybe some of you should be blaming the writers!

• Members

I quite enjoy Michelle Stafford as Phyllis, I cannot imagine anyone else in the role, Sandra Nelson was a good Phyllis when she was called to be the domanatrix Phyllis, I don't think she has the range that Michelle does. If written properly the Phyllis character dominates the scene, she is a force to be reckon with. Given the proper dialogue, there is no range of emotions that she cannot play.

• Members

My problem with Stafford as Phyllis,initially,was the writing at the time.

The whole Danny has a one night stand and divorces Chris was so lame.Chris was supposed to be in contact with Danny at the time,and he was such a moral character that his breaking marriage vows wasn't believable.

Especially,when we didn't see it happening.

Phyllis came on as totally evil.There was no chemistry between her and Danny and she was annoying and one note in her pursuit. And let's face it,Danny was hardly the sexy rock star the show kept trying to push him as.

Stafford improved as the character developed.That said, I really liked Nelson as Phyllis.

One last thing - the name Phyllis. No offense to any posters with that name, but it conjures up visions of a matronly middle aged woman. a strange choice at the time for a sexy young vixen.

Archived