OLTL: Discussion for the week July 21st - 25th

• Members

Observation: In the Agnes interview someone posted earlier in this thread, there are color clips of Gillian Spencer as Viki, and in today's opening, the original opening was shown in its original color form. Does this mean that there are actually COLOR EPISODES from the show's first couple of years still in existence? And if that's the case, would there also be COLOR EPISODES of AMC from its very, very early days as well?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought today was perfect. It was a perfect tribute to this show. It had it's really emotional parts, it's really dramatic parts, and it's really funny parts with a healthy dosage of camp thrown in for good measure. I loved loved loved the Heaven scenes and I sighed big time when Asa said he missed Viki's beautiful face. Oh, gosh that was great. I got all giggly over Viki and Agnes together. I hooted with Niki but her wild hair was just so distracting. LOL. But Niki and Elvis was a hoot! Now, they gotta give us some Mel and Viki.

Mel and Dorian made me sigh too when she jumped him. I sure did love me some Mel. I am not sure where they are going with Dorian admitting her feelings for Charlie but I love the idea of her making retribution. LOL.

The 1968 stuff was so fun to watch. There were so many good lines from Rex and Bo today and I think I died laughing when Nigel came trotting out as Chuck Sr.

All in all a totally AWESOME show!

• Members

As others have said, Erika Slezak was the third* Viki hence Agnes Nixon's line about watching over her for the last 40, er, more like 38 years. ;) I thought that was cute. My heart melted watching that scene between Viki and Agnes. Agnes is so strongly associated with All My Children, her being on OLTL today was one of the sweetest soap "reunions" I have ever seen. It was like a mom who'd left her kids many years ago finally coming home. I don't think I'd ever seen her and Erika Slezak sharing the same space.

Someone asked about color eps from the early years... at the Paley Center in NY (formerly the Museum of TV and Radio) there is a color ep with Gillian Spencer as Viki. When I watched it, there was no opening. I don't know if at the time OLTL aired its opening first without teasers. But if so, the shows in the archive are in a digital format and often skip the first few seconds when they start. A color version of the roaring fire opening also appeared in Agnes' Intimate Portrait.

*Erika Slezak may in fact be the FOURTH Viki (technically) as according to Ellen Holly's book, there was an actress hired who taped promos, maybe even a few eps, but was replaced with Gillian Spencer before the show went to air.

• Members

You're right -- Melissa F would have been far better playing Maria Roberts...one of may all time favorite villains.

Beautiful show today, all around. Viki's reaction to seeing Asa, Dorian jumping into Mel's arms, the comedy at the ranch, including Agnes Nixon and Erin Torpey! Wonderful tribute to the show's history... can't wait to see tomorrow's episode. I hope All My Childen will do something this creative, too, when their next anniversary rolls around.

• Administrator

I didn't notice that! That's a pretty cool touch.

Thanks for the clip, Cheap. That was certainly a fun scene to watch. So Tina accidently killed Cord's mother - awesome!

I noticed that. Paul Rauch sure likes his bright lights. LOL

Adrianna's hot tail. :wub:

BTW, I agree. Melissa Archer just looks funny in a black wig. :lol:

July 21 (A Little Bit of History Repeating)- SW: Elizabeth Page; D: Jill Mitwell; Location: Larry Carpenter

I wish Leslie Nipkow was still on the team. This would've been her episode to write. Ron probably wrote the breakdown for this episode and Tuesday's episode. I can't see anyone but him write the breakdowns for these special episodes - just like how he wrote the breakdowns for Asa's funeral episodes (with Leslie writing the scritps). Damn, that was a good one-two punch combo.

What were your objections?

• Members

every7thing. from start to finsih. its far too campy and over the top. not the good campy. not old style Y&R and from what i ehar oltl camp. too much passions type camp. i honestly felt like JERk took control od OLTL. It played out like an episode of passions. hopefully it doesnt drag out and last too long. I also dont care about any of it except kinda sarah because everything else is 'fake'. i *know* viki isnt dead. i *know* bo & rex will get back to present day. and thats not from spoilers, its just... i know. lol.

the sarah thing was ok, but not enough to save the show for me., and all this plus the fact that the last few weeks ahve been less that awesome. i really expoected so much more from the tess storyline. but its making everyone invovled just look like a moron.

i guess this gives me a break from starr tho, right? theres a plus.

Archived