Little Soap Details You Miss...

• Members

I was just thinking one thing I loved on the ABC soaps--at least all of the Agnes Nixon ones and I believe Ryan's Hope was up until I think the early 90s (at least on Loving and AMC) the closing credits scene would always be a silent continuation of a scene from the drama--later this was replaced with boring clips or freeze frames from the show itself. I think this term is cameo scenes? Anyway just one of those soap details I miss :(:P

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I miss long, drawn-out scenes we used to get on soaps operas where exploration of character motivation was the driving force, not a simple plot point.

Toups mentioned this in the Hollyoaks threads, we never see great friendships on US soaps anymore. Now, it seems like "friends" on US soaps use one another, or they use friendship as a means to sleep with one another. It's sad.

• Members

One thing I enjoyed when McTavsh returned to AMC was for her first year we started gettign some really amazing long scenes--you know ones that would play up the whole 8 or so mins from commercial to commercial. It's just so rarely done anymore.

I miss real friendships too. (and don't get me started on couple squish names--i refuse to use them at all)

• Members

I miss soaps being respected. There used to be so much attention given to soaps in the media. Now, hardly any publication or media outlet talks about soaps. And during the one time daytime tv is celebrated, they usually only talk about the talk show.

• Members

Yeha it is kinda like we've gone backwards. It wasn't until the mid 70s really that soaps started getting press, peopel paid attention to who was working behind the scenes, they started aknowledgeing that some men and you know, *educated* women actually watched soaps, etc. Then that kinda climaxed in the 80s and has gone backwards since

• Members

I miss the old background music that was used on Y&R and GL back in the 1990's. I also miss those really campy promo commercials that were produced back in the 1990's for the CBS soaps. The man whose voice you heard used to be so over-the-top, catty, and soapy all at the same time. I wish we could get those back, but soaps aren't as exciting as they were back then, so I don't think the promos would be as exciting. I also miss when shows used to have their own closing credits and not these generic network closings that they used to advertise mostly for primetime shows.

• Members

I miss characters who didn't necessarily drive story, but who you could count on to be a sort of advocate for the audience. That's why, out of all the characters currently on the OLTL canvas, Nigel is my favorite.

Archived