Paul Rauch hired by Y&R

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually liked Rauch's style of lighting on GL, from what I can see on YouTube...most of the sets were in light shades of creams and grays, and there was a real 'sunny' feel to the look, which contrasted nicely when it was night time. The sets looked lavish and spacious, which was more down to the way they were shot than the actual size of the sets. It gave the show a very expensive look.

I can't see this technique being applied on Y&R, which tends to have a much darker look, something that's been it's trademark since it launched. If anything, I can only see Rauch's involvement tidying up a few of the things that remain from LML's era.

• Members

The look of AW was very well done in that day and time.

Sets really matched the characters. They weren't overdone but they were wonderful. The Cory Mansion was beautiful but tastefully so. It was not filled with actors who all looked like they came off the face of the modeling magazine covers. They had shirtless hunks like the other shows but they were shirtless hunks who could act. He brought on 5 of the best young actors ever to grace the daytime soaps IMO: Eric Roberts, Ray Liotta, Gary Tomlin, Richard Bekins and Jim Poyner.

All 4 looked great and you often saw them without their shirts on but they could act. But he wasn't afraid to hire actors that were very mediocre looking too: Leon Russom, Dorothy Lyman, Roberts Blossom, Anne Meachum, Gretchen Oehler, and many others who were great actors and many who wouldn't stand a chance of being hired in the world of daytime today.

I think his lighting for AW was okay but in later shows it was brighter like Alvin said. Not sure why he changed that. Actually I will take a little brighter over some of the shows these days - some of them have gone way too dark for my visionally impaired older eyes.

The only thing that I have ever heard against Rauch is that he is not good at doing minorities. AW's great minority characters and rep didn't come until after he was gone. And at OLTL he did get rid of both Ellen Holly and Lillian Hayman who had been on the show since the beginning. He used some minority characters but they never seemed to be the big focus.

One thing I do like about him is that he does not seem to come onto a show and fill it with his friends. I almost wanted to see some of the old AW bunch when he took over other shows but he never seemed to hire them in droves. So if he takes over Y&R I wouldn't expect to see that.

As to the thing of him being 74 I don't see how that is a big problem. Irna Phillips worked very well into her 70's - the latter years were not as great as her earlier years. And many others have done very well directing and producing in their older years. Many movie producers work into their 80's and get critical acclaim. so I don't think age will be a factor at all.

• Members

The clips that I've seen of his time on GL are really aesthetically beautiful, so it wasn't all spin, unline a similar sounding press release that came out to advertise Wheeler's new production model.

• Members

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but isn't their still a freezer full of The GoatDaddy's sperm out there somewhere? I'm sure Ashley might know their whereabouts. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! This brings back "fond" memories of TheREALDiane (I miss Alex Donnelley), Nikki, and Ashley fighting over the little Victor Newman seed and hiding them all over Genoa City and beyond. Ewww ... that stuff was being passed around more often than the Olympic torch.

Re: Paul Rauch. Uh ... he was great with production values, the look of the show. As a couple people have mentioned, the lighting could be harsh and he loves his earth tones, but he did somehow miraculously made GL's teeny, tiny sets look lush and expansive. Oh, and if he does come, be prepared for a big budget baseball diamond set to be built for just a one or two episode story and the Y&R opening be cut down the just the lady walking through/title card. :lol: Seriously though, didn't he tend to spend a lot of money on production and cut a lot of cast at GL? I don't think Eric Braeden would be able to pull one of his contract negotiation tactics on Rauch.

• Members

Oh, thanks, I forgot about him. I've tried very hard to forget that period. But the credits and and negotiations stuff does apply to Rauch, right? A lot of vets left the show during Rauch's tenure and I remember some controversy when Beth Ehlers kept getting pregnant and almost got re-cast permanently.

• Members

I think the credits thing was a P&G thing, both GL and ATWT had slashed their openings down to like 12-14 seconds by 97/98. Some vets left during his time, but it wasn't as bad as Wheeler's massacre of vets during her tenure.

Yes, Rauch can be a hard ass during negotiations.

Archived