Y&R: Week of July 14, 2008

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wonder what impact Paul Rauch's Creative Consultant credit will have on this show. When Latham joined in the same capacity in November 2005, her influence was IMMEDIATELY felt on the show, it was so apparent that things were changing.

Rauch is a much more powerful player with a strong vision, I wonder how that will mesh with the current state of Y&R.

Watch him be the new EP by the fall...

• Members

I agree about the Newmans (even though I don't like Sabrina), but Devon, Lily, Cane and Colleen have every right to look down their noses at Chloe. The girl is a manipulative skank who is intent on breaking up Lily and Cane, and they can all see that.

• Members

SKYE - where's Skye? David, uhm, he didn't? Too bad, girl was hotness.

And I want Brad to play some cat and mouse - Jill to the matter, I guess. Them plotting is already a dynamite pairing.

Amber / Daniel = intense although I don't think Adrienne Frantz's acting was that good. Graz however sold it.

As for the crowd at Teen People ahem Restless Style. Grow up everyone, this also goes to you Vickie. Fortunately and to my greatest surprise Amelia Heinle is doing solid and convincly snotty b*tchy. She should wear that short hair BTW she's sporting for the magazine's cover.

onthecoverjun08fg7.jpg

She looks great, Mireille Mathieu style.

I HATE however the short scenes and quick back and forth of characters. The breakdowns are at their LML worst again. I find it beyond tiresome.

• Members

As I watched Y&R yesterday for the first time in two weeks, I noticed something incredibly different but really disheartening at the same time.

From Amber and Daniel to Vicki and Sabrina, there were so many conflicts going on in just about each scene: something we really haven't seen much of on this show in the past few months that really surprised me. But what really pissed me off was that none of the conflicts (except for Jill's and Katherine's) have been set up convincingly enough. Because while Daniel was piping hot FURIOUS his relationship with Amber certainly wasn't as developed as even JT's and Mac's (THE most BORING couple back when Y&R was good).

I still say, go back to the drawing board with a lot of these relationships and see where they lead because while tension is good, it's not as good without a solid history.

• Members

I think Daniel and Amber's history is solid enough. He's been her one true friend since she arrived on the show and they've been thick as thieves through everything. Including the destruction of his marriage(partially because of her). I can see how Daniel could be so furious with Amber.

• Members

I wish they'd play the sexual chemistry that got Brad hired. Brenda Dickson wanted a hedgeclipper...and she hired young Brad. Brenda oozed lust, since she was trapped in a marriage to an old man. Now, years later, she is still the cougar....I'm not saying they should have a relationship, but Jill should always play the sexual tension she feels when she sits close to him. She should always be checking out his arms, his thighs of death, his chest, his butt. They should never "go there", but it should be palpably subtextual. And Brad, opportunist that he is, should welcome this and play to it with a light flirtatiousness.

Thank you for articulating what I felt but could not express. I thought "that is Amber being Amber...trademark shrieking histrionics." But Graz...his fury made me sit up and take notice. Indeed, I said to the person I was watching with: "He's doing improv right now. You can see he is composing while he is in the moment". (Hmmmm...if that is true...but it is not a good thing that I noticed that).

I see what you mean. I honestly don't think we'll ever get long scenes again. I think this was a CBS/Sony edict to make the pacing more "modern". And you know what: I can live with it for pedestrian daily scenes.

AS LONG AS: when the scenes are supposed to be emotional and make me FEEL something, they slow down and linger. If they do that (i.e., vary the pacing according to the moment), I think by contrast it will make the emotional scenes seem even more touching. But I don't really know anything about this stuff....

Archived