The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thank you for reading them - I have one or two more from 1982 that I don't think have been posted. When I have a chance I will put them up. There's always Doctors-related stuff but I know it can get repetitive so I'm glad to know someone is enjoying them.

• Members

The WLS soaps article on line today in memory of Haila Stoddard 'Daytime Delilahs' mentions Joan Anderson on The Doctors, but, oddly doesn't mention the character's name.

She played Nora, Maggie's sister. The only mention I have seen of this character is that she was at one stage involved with,or trying to steal Matt.It seems she married a character named Steve Lloyd, played by soap vet Craig Huebing. Joanna Petter is listed as playing Judy Stratton Lloyd,so i assume there was some connection to the Steve Lloyd

Does anyone have any extra info on mid 60's TD?.History books only ever mention Matt and Maggie and then skip to Steve,Carolee and Althea.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

Other interesting early characters included Dorothy Blackburn as Nurse Brown, Ruth McDevitt (who seemed to turn up in every 60's sitcom as a sweet little old lady) as Mrs McMurtie and Althea's mother Edna Hamilton played by Joanna Roos (who played Van and Meg's mom on LOL) ,Florence Williams and Margaret Baker.

There was a character named Jessie Bartok, played by Jocelyn Somers,who may have been Kate's mother, Edward Kemmer as Stowe Phillips and Louise Lasser as Jackie.

I have never seen any reference to these characters in synopses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This is a month old so maybe not relevant, but Lois Smith was great fun as crazy Eleanor Conrad, who was the obstacle between Althea and Dr. Scott Conrad. Though in the 70s it was all about Althea and Nick Bellini, so I don't think the audience ever really expected anything to happen with Scott. Gerald Gordon would come and go as Nick, but eventually he went for real, moving to California to join GH with much fanfare (I think when they expanded to an hour).

Lois Smith has remained a favorite of mine in many guest-starring rolss since, including Aunt Betsy Cramer on OLTL, and not long ago I finally saw her in a pre-DOCTORS role in the film Next Stop, Greenwich Village (1974).

• Members

Thanks for sharing that. I'm sorry she didn't enjoy her experience more, but it sounds like an interesting role.

I know Liz Hubbard said, in 1986, she still had people asking her about Nick.

Did Althea have anything to do between the time Nick left for good and when Liz Hubbard left in 1978 or 1977?

• Members

Thanks for posting these Carl. I particularly read the first scan, since I've grown quite fond of reading that era of The Doctors, late 1980-early 1981. It's quite interesting to say the least, seeing as how OLTL's former EP Doris Quinlan was producing the show at the time.

Edited by MichaelGL