The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was looking through a February 1978 Daytimers, and she mentioned that Geraldine Court and Wayne Tippett, who had been written out of the show, refused to return anyway while the current writers were there, because they were offended by the storylines. They also said Lois Smith was happy to go because she was offended by her story, or the portrayal of mental illness.

Do any of you know anything about this? Who was the writer at the time?

• Members

That article would have referred to late 77 storylines. I guess they might be referring to Ethel and Mel Brez who took over from Marland.Or perhaps the next writer Linda Grover. The timelines on writers at that time are sketchy.

Wayne's character of Kyle did return but plated by Gene Lindsay.He had a brief encounter with Maggie.

• Members

This from late 77 under Ethel and Mel Brez.They soon killed off MJ's husband Tom and Virginia Dancy.

Matt asks Maggie to move back home, and she agrees. Maggie’s concerned when Greta questions her about birth control devices. Erich’s heart problems may be more serious than his parents know. Nola and Jason elope. Happy with his job as the newspaper artist, Luke turns down Doreen’s offer to manage Andre’s Supper Club but agrees to be friends. Sarah brings social work studies at the hospital.

Thinking use of contraceptives makes her lovemaking with Billy contrived, Greta only pretends she is using diaphragm, and worries when her menstrual cycle is week late. Dr. Colin Wakefield, Sarah’s Peace Corps lover, arrives in Madison palling to take Erich to North Carolina for operation. Steve is leery; he thinks surgery should be performed closer to home. Wanting to date other girls, Billy is trying to let Greta down easily.

Following marriage proposal from Michael, Sarah isn’t sure she is ready to be a mother to Michael Paul or that she loves his father. Sarah plans to get her own apartment. Steve is upset when Colin insists Erich be told how dangerous the operation is. Matt decides to let Greta have contraceptives, but it’s too late – she is pregnant. Barney bets his saving on horse.

Erich becomes frightened as Colin explains how dangerous his heart surgery will be. Tom lands job which requires a great deal of travelling. Luke quits job at newspaper and returns to manage Andre’s. When Barney loses all his money in a horse race, Luke bails him out with $5,000 he gets from Doreen. Greta tells Billy she’s pregnant and Sarah learns Colin is at the hospital.

• Members

Thank you so much for finding that, Paul Raven. I'm sorry I didn't reply yesterday, there was so much going on. Those stories don't sound that offensive to me, but then they don't really involve the characters who left (who was Lois Smith's character again?).

This is the May 11, 1982 recap.

01-16-2011051943AM11.jpg

01-16-2011051943AM13.jpg

01-16-2011051943AM14.jpg

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Thanks so much for scanning and posting these Carl.

I find both the recaps from May 1982 quite an interesting read. Even after the ridiculousness of the Catherine storyline/Jason's death, some of the stories after such a turbulent period seem interesting; most notably Greta's divorce from Billy/determination to reconnect with LeAnn, Katy/Danny/Natalie/Luke seems interesting, as does Jeff vs. Mike with Althea thrown in as well.

Edited by MichaelGL

• Members

Thanks for responding! So what do you think was wrong in the Catherine story?

I do like the sound of Althea/Jeff. I liked that actor from what I've seen of him on GL.

I have another February 1982 Digest, February 16, right before the March 2, so I'll post that soon. Sorry for the dates being all muddled up.