Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

It's such bizarre whiplash writing - just about three weeks ago we only knew him as this guy who liked Finn and has HIV and was being terrorized by Val...and now suddenly he's a control freak and Finn has to lie about himself to keep him around?

This show has some weird pacing and characterization issues, especially with supporting characters. It's too bad, because I like Darren and I liked him with Finn. And I keep hoping he has another jacket...

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Someone in the Aaron/Robert thread at Digital Spy found this...apparently some unsold pilot for the CW in 2010 by Amy Sherman-Palladino (Gilmore Girls). This clip also has Sean Faris. There’s an IMDB listing for The Wyoming Story, but oddly enough Ryan and Sean aren’t credited there (more IMDB sloppiness I guess). It is oddly in line with Robert and Andy. I guess Ryan just fits that “type”...

https://vimeo.com/44324501

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Speaking of Robert, happy birthday to him. I hope he will be there to celebrate his birthday next year too :) He's such a terrific character...I hope they know what they have with him.

They did sort of mention Robert's birthday, but I wonder if they've forgotten Adam's.

For the most part they do try to remember many of the birthdays. I like that about the show. It makes it feel warm and familiar.

• Members

Michael Parr laid out on that bed asking 20 questions....LMAO. He's just too fine for words.

Chrissy gets the Boss Bitch of 2015 Award! Shes totally got me on board with her as a character. Lochlan is still a piece of turd but man is his mother a force. I can't wait until she finds out about Robert and Aaron!

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear

• Members

Disappointed at Danny Miller not getting shortlisted. It's funny, I was so sick of him in his first run that I almost resented the idea of him winning, and now that I don't mind him, I think I've jinxed him. Well that and I guess a messy love affair with a closeted bisexual who may or may not be on the road to Cameronville doesn't get the positive vote that the endless weeping and sexless, Puritan misery of the Jackson story.

I really hope Natalie Anderson or Michael Parr win, unlikely as that is. If Adam W wins I'll be happy but if that blowfish Danny Dyer wins for being Danny Dyer, I'll be so disappointed.

Not even going to bother with the panel awards and guessing.

• Members

I like how Vanessa's reaction to finding out she's pregnant was less shock and more despair. Michelle Hardwick was great in the scene with her three pregnancy tests, tears down her face.

It was also nice to see Emma genuinely try to settle things with Debbie for Pete's sake. It's small instances like this that will make her downfall all the more destructive.

TmWill, I know you mentioned before how Anna Passey would be great on Emmerdale and if the show ever brings on Chrissie's sister, Rebecca, Passey could potentially fit the role like a glove.

BSA - I was more disappointed Kelvin Fletcher and Verity Rushworth weren't nominated, but at least their contributions were felt in the other categories. Since Ryan Hawley is nominated twice, I'll be crossing my fingers extra hard he'll win at least once.

• Members

Robert seems about the same as usual to me, just a more extreme version. The only part that seems forced to me is the usual recycled hostility with Aaron to faciliate Breakup #4333. But we're seeing him lose everything so he lashes out more. I hope it leads to him being broken off from Home Farm and having to build from the ground up, which he needs. It would also be nice to see more of him with Andy and Victoria, but who needs that when we can get more of "Locky/Lucky/Lachie" and his crybaby of a mother.

I'm more annoyed with Chrissie and her usual hypocritical cluelessness - not caring that her scheme with Ross could lead mobsters to her door, because, "I didn't hurt my family!" and whining about how she is ashamed to be honest with her father, the rape apologist and hardcore misogynist. She's a pathetic little princess who needs a wakeup call.

I think Aaron still has feelings for him but is trying to push those far down, because of the way Robert has behaved and because of his mother.

I think he and Aaron will stay split up for a while, probably until right before the inevitable affair reveal. Aaron may just be single and try to be fine with it, while Robert is unhappily married and pines. What I'd like to see if Aaron get a new boyfriend (someone who is able to stand up to people, and someone who is effeminate while also being tough and sexual - I'd also like to see a gay actor cast in one of these roles on Emmerdale again...) and Robert work to break them up, and Aaron dates this guy (and slowly starts to fall for him) even as he starts up a love/hate sexual relationship with Robert again. But I doubt the show will do that.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Someone was asking around for iconic moments for each show, for some British soap thing they're doing. I gave them some of mine, but thought you all might be interested in listing some of yours. (in the appropriate threads I mean)