Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

Good God, this week was agony to get through between Alfie's demise and the Nativity. Yikes. Awful. And I really do love Roxy Shahibi but Leyla needs to just GO, already. I suppose once her maternity leave is completed she'll be straight back, meaning onscreen end of spring/early summer?

Edited by TimWil

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Meh at Moria being Emma's killer. That was kind of expected as it was either between her, Ross, or Laurel. Personally, I found hit more profound when it appeared that Emma committed suicide. Making this story a murder mystery has just made it worse for me. 

Laurel and Bob...

Please register in order to view this content

Really? OK. I get having Laurel move on, but they stay putting her in awkward pairings. Hopefully, this pans out to be more than expected. 

Edited by Nothin'ButAttitude

• Members

I didn't mean that the stories were alike, just that once again it seems like a murderer will get off without punishment on this show. They will probably use Moira's post-partum depression as reason. Another option is that Adam takes the blame for his mother and no-one finds out that Moira is actually the guilty one.

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

I think people will have to find out at some point, although whether that leads to her exit, I don't know.

I wish they hadn't done it, but this is probably the time where I feel like they most managed to show that she really was on edge and that Emma pushed her into it, rather than it being premeditated. 

They probably should have just had her confess rather than keeping it a secret for story purposes. 

• Members

I'm currently reading episode recaps from the early years on a wikia site. When the first couple DVD volumes came out, someone graciously posted the episodes on YouTube. I hurriedly watched what I could, but they unfortunately stopped doing so to my knowlegde. Watching them, I was fascinated by the character of Alison Gibbons and reading about her further in the recaps that fascination only grew. It's a shame Emmerdale felt the need to always have such upheaval in the earlier years, because I think she should have lasted a lot longer. The fact that she came out of prison, having the tragedy of both her husband and child's death on her shoulders, never feeling it was right to move on with another man depsite constant interest. It was a bit of a weird show in that, once a charactr started to get a proper build up, they were hastily written out never to be heard from again. A strange way of thinking.

• Members

Yes, all throughout the 1970s they only had a small group of core characters and other characters would come in for a story and then leave, never to be heard of again. It was one of the few downsides of those early years. Alison did last longer than most of these characters, but there was definitely untapped potential in the character.

On a sad note, Carolyn Moody, who played Alison, passed away as early as 1989, only 49 years old.  

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Yes, that was one of the absolute best of the many disasters that has befallen this little village after the plane crash, and the Kings remain the best inhabitants of Home Farm since the Tates. Subsequent families have failed miserably to live up to them.

I wish they would have kept on releasing the early years on DVD. The show only aired twice a week back then and regularly took long seasonal breaks so it wouldn't have been that difficult to continue, at least up to 1979. But maybe the sales figures were disappointing and that's why they didn't continue.