Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

So after weeks of wall-to-wall programming (including documentaries featuring men who went through the gay aversion therapy, like Lawrence) and events here in the UK to mark 50 years since homosexuality was partially decriminalised in Britain, Emmerdale breaks up its older gay male couple. 

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Love that! I can't imagine an episode like that in today's Emmerdale. But back then it was perfectly natural.

This was also the last episode before the show became fully networked, starting with episode 1212, January 6th the following year.

• Members

So that's why it went off a lot earlier in the year in these years? It's always odd to go back and see that the show just would not air for 4-5-6 months out of the year in some years in the '70s.

My favorite part of that was getting to see Clive Hornby camp it up as the panto villain. I think the show making Jack so dour in the mid-90s was a mistake. 

• Members

Yes, it wasn't until 1988 that the show started airing all year, and at the same time all over the country. Before that it took seasonal breaks, and was aired in different time-slots in different regions.

I guess you could say that Jack had very little to be cheerful about during the 90s. The farm was struggling and he was fighting a losing battle against the likes of Frank Tate who had a completely different view on things than Jack did. But it didn't exactly make Jack an endearing character during that time. It did make it more understandable why Sarah would have an affair with Richie though, but at the same time it made it even more mysterious why Rachel would have an affair with Jack. 

• Members

Oh, swell, Rishi's back from Canada and he's brought his unbearable cutesiness with him.

Is this Hugh Brian guy a new character? The actor's terrible.

This show is really falling off a cliff.

Edited by TimWil

• Members

This date 23 years ago, August 9th 1994, was a sad, sad day in Emmerdale history. The very first Dingle, Ben, made his first appearance on the show. Thus it began....The disease soon caught on and infected the whole show, and there seems to be no cure in sight.  

• Members

Gemma Atkinson (ex-Carly) will participate in this year's Strictly Come Dancing

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40874025

After watching more old episodes recently (there's been some fantastic 1980s videos posted on Youtube) my level of tolerance for all things Dingle has sunk to a new low.

I just watched the episode with Joe's funeral, and it was tough to watch for several reasons. First and foremost of course because it meant saying goodbye to Joe (), but also because the Dingles turned up and almost ruined the episode for me. How is it possible that they could become popular? It's a complete and utter mystery to me. All I know is they make me sick every time I see them. Hate is a strong word to use and it shouldn't be used lightly but frankly it's the only word that is strong enough to describe my feelings for that revolting bunch. 

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

It really was tacky for an original character's funeral episode to have Dingle stuff, and also the Luke McCallister material. Henry's funeral episode had the Kathy/Chris engagement stuff, which was out of place, but not really disrespectful. This was more on the lines of disrespectful. 

I do wonder how the old viewers put it up with it then. I wonder if it's because they knew Sandra Gough (who was very good as Nellie) from Corrie. Or maybe because they had softened up most of the family around this point. 

It's funny though as the Dingles are probably their closest to non-objectionable in recent episodes as I've seen them in a very long time. No tantrums or crime sprees and most of them are in supporting roles. I doubt it will last, of course. It's just surreal.

I'm glad you're enjoying the '80s episodes. One of the things I notice about them - and something that vanished fairly quickly with the arrival of the Tates and shortening of the title - is how introspective and intelligent many of the conversations are. The talks about religion and the loss of their wives with Rev. Manning and the rabbi are something that simply would not have aired on the show within a few years. Or the talk with the rabbi and Jack, even. There is also a very nice conversation with Jackie and Kathy about her fears of marriage due to the terrible relationship her parents had. Kathy often felt one-dimensional by the mid-90s...it's a bit sad to remember when she wasn't. 

Edited by DRW50