EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I really like Glynis Barber - have ever since her Blake's 7 days. I don't care for the Kate Gosselin hair in the interview but I like how much she cares about her character. I could do without the idea of yet another attractive woman lusting after Phil.

It's fascinating to me how many have written the new Ben off immediately because he's not going around doing musical theater. Santer really wrecked that character by writing him as a bad joke, and it is continuing even now that Ben is gone. Oh it's so interesting if Phil has a camp son. You'd think it might be, but after one or two ha ha moments, it became as dull as anything else which involves Phil.

I know what you mean. I don't think it's meant to be misogynistic, I think it's just some attempt at a mystery, but I wish they could have done something else.

• Members

It would be nice to see Robbie, I miss him. I do like Sonia OK when she isn't around Phil or moaning, so that might be alright.

I wonder if they might have Sonia or Robbie make a few more appearances, because apparently since Patsy Palmer had some problems near the end of her pregnancy (thankfully she and baby are fine) she had to leave work several weeks earlier than expected.

• Members

I'm all for Team Janine! She's misunderstood and wants to be loved. It meant a lot to take in Ryan and now he's off shaggin' Stacey. What is the appeal of Stacey? I liked her when she was with Bradley and after the Archie plot but now she's being put on a high arch (no pun intended).

• Members

<_<

I knew something was up when it was announced that Natalie Cassidy was narrating the Revealed special on Stacey. Hopefully it's just a very short visit.

I at least hope they remember that Sonia is very close to Dot and Jim, more so than she is to Carol and Bianca (who seem to be the main focus of her visit). Where are Martin and Rebecca? Not that I miss them, but kind of sad that the only one returning with the Fowler last name is Sonia...

• Members

Did she have any scenes with Dot and Jim the last time?

You're right - they tend to forget her ties to Dot and Jim. It's easy to forget now that Sonia was the only Jackson on the show for some time.

As for Stacey, I think they wrecked her a few years ago, so I don't see the big change in her that some do. I think Lacey always manages to play Stacey fearlessly and isn't afraid to be subtle when she has to be or to be ugly when she has to be. I don't think I'll miss Stacey that much but the show is going to have a void in their younger female characters.

I still wish they'd done Stax as a proper couple.

I hope that the show won't end Janine/Pat again after Janine's crimes come out. I love that relationship when it's written properly, and these last few months are the first proper writing for them in about five years.

• Members

I don't remember any scenes with Dot and Jim in her last visit, though I could be wrong.

I very rarely group Sonia (and Robbie at times) with the other Jackson's. Jim raised her for most of her life, so to me, he's her real parental figure. Didn't Sonia's last name came to be referred to as Branning for a time too?

I mean the show wouldn't even mention Carol when Sonia as a teenager gave birth to a child that was taken away from her. Jim was there for her through most of the important experiences in her life. I did actually hear though that John Yorke had wanted Lindsey Coulson back in 2000 and Yorke and Coulson are actually close friends, but she vowed to never return after her '99 exit.

I don't think Pat and Janine could ever really stay away from each other. I still think Pat sees her younger self, as well as Frank's destructive traits in Janine, which is why she'll never be able to stay away, as well as Janine being her only real daughter-figure.

Though, Pat is a bit of a hypocrite, as she was more than happy too see Janine thrown in jail for Laura's death a few years ago, when she knew Janine didn't do it. Though, I guess she was more pissed about Janine's involvement in Barry's death. I still think those final scenes between Janine and Pat when Charlie left in 2004 were some of Brooks and St. Clement's best scenes on the show.

• Members

I skipped last week's episodes to catch up, so what's going on with Janine/Ryan? Is that crazy bitch drugging him?

nuBen is kind of creepy. He barely had any lines at all on Tuesday, yet he was in most of the episode. Just mugging and whimpering. I'm going to need to see him do more before I can form an opinion. I personally liked campy Ben. Not because it would have been a massive bee in PhatAss's bonnet, but because I thought it was sort of endearing. I loathe Jay with the heat of a thousand suns at the moment.

Carol and Bianca trying to push Whitney with Peter was awkward as hell. I like Peter. I think he's a good kid, and very handsome. Why he wants chavvy Whitney is beyond me. I wouldn't mind it if they somehow put him in with Afia and Tamwar for a triangle. Though I don't know how many more connections the Beales and Masoods can take right now.

Billy/Julie continue to work well, and I loved them putting in some work at the laundrette until Heather showed up. Julie always looks like she has an odor, though, but I guess that's part of the character.

• Members

Pat found out Ryan and Stacey were having an affair and told Janine. Janine reacted the logical way, of yes, poisoning the bastard!

Did you watch today's episode. Glenda gets some good digs at Jay and I just ATE. IT. UP. Also, Ben telling earlier in the week that he'd be out of the Mitchell family soon enough as me hoping that foreshadows not only his ouster from the family, but from the show.

Thomas Law (Peter Beale) exits during Christmas week. I'm not sure if it's been announced if it's temporary or permanent, but it was the actor's decision.

• Members

It's going to be odd seeing Ian without any of his kids. I have no idea where they are taking Ian as a character.

Confirmed with Sonia:

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a293725/sonia-to-make-one-off-enders-return.html

Interview with Charlie Brooks and Neil McDermott:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/interviews/a293038/charlie-brooks-neil-mcdermott-janine-and-ryan-eastenders.html

Some of the stuff where people stood around to be insulted by Glenda was stagey, but at least it was fun. Glenda is a real loose cannon and she's also an agitator -- they can do a lot with her if they get creative and stop using her as a mattress. She could be EE's Kim Tate.

Edited by CarlD2