EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

2004-2009 were uneven years from the show, but they had some fantastic long-running dramatic stories, which would serve Eastenders well. It's a shame Blyth fired her, but then he seems to want to make the show his and ignore what might have made Emmerdale best.

• Members

That was more Santer shock value. He wanted to rip off the story about viewers not knowing the father of Michelle's baby and they would each get a phone call and then the father would show up. The choices were, I think, Minty, Phil, I can't remember the other, and Darren. Darren had gotten drunk at his 18th birthday party and went home with Heather. Heather came across like a headcase because she talked to Shirley about how special this time had been and how they'd had special cuddles...and then it was a drunk Darren.

• Members

Wow...that's unbelievable. And no one (on the show/in the audience) had an issue with Heather being in her FORTIES talking about having sex with a TEENAGER? Jesus H. Christ. In a way, I'm glad they don't use her much anymore. Any scenes with her and Darren talking about their child would be utterly awkward.

Quick note about the current episodes -- I'm not feeling Vanessa and her storyline much at all. To be honest, she's boring me, and the whole Desperate Housewives style they've got going on with her just doesn't fit the rest of the show at all. Her blaming everyone else for the lie she told to her daughter for nearly 20 years isn't helping.

• Members

There were some very funny scenes where Libby and Denise and Chelsea went after Heather when they found out (they found out because she passed Darren a note at a pre-wedding thing for Syed and Amira). Denise kept on for a while. I loved it.

It was a terrible and pointless story but didn't have bad followup compared to some other shock value stories, as Darren, after initially not wanting anything to do with the baby, agreed to start paying support, and spends time with him occasionally, and Heather tells George that Darren is his father. It is, compared to a lot of stuff on soaps, fairly realistic.

I actually like both Vanessa and Jodie...sometimes I feel like Jodie is on the wrong show, but I think Vanessa/Max and Darren/Jodie both work well together. I'm not quite sure what isn't right. I do think that it was odd to shove the paternity reveal in so quickly and Harry is a mess of a character.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Sadly I don't think a show could tell a slow-burning story now.

I'm glad Berridge has found some peace from her time on the show. I feel like she was blamed for way too much...I wonder if the same is already happening to Kirkwood. Berridge's era was awful sometimes but had some great stuff too. Her care in Arthur's exit shows her love of history.

• Members

I think there was a very dark and nasty cloud, especially in regards to how she saw dominant male characters and gangsters that hovered around on the show in Berridge's era that took a long time for the show to get over (I don't know if it ever really did). Kind of like how a similar type cloud hovered around OLTL even after JFP left.

The stalker story about her is sad though. Crazy soap fans. :lol:

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner