Days: Where are the cliffhangers?

• Members

Wow, you really have a problem reading and understanding my posts.

I honestly don't care who you blame, I'm just saying you got your critic directed in the wrong way. And that's my opinion. And I still think it's hilarious how you blame people for tuning out. I don't get why you think people should watch something they clearly don't want to. Did they sign a contract when they watched their first episodes or something? It's a free country you know. ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well they did it again. On Monday's show (spoiler warning), in the first segment, Sami finds out that Chloe and Lucas slept together by simply overhearing it in a conversation between Chloe and Nicole. No build-up. No cliff-hanger from the previous Friday's show, or even a hint of what was to come. Lucas wasn't even present for the reveal, nor was EJ. It was a cheap set-up for a cat-fight (food-fight), which was entertaining in its own right, but still a waste for such an important story beat. I really don't understand how they can get such a basic tenent of soap opera storytelling wrong. And it is even less understandable that not one individual, from the top down, stepped in to say that they were wasting a perfectly good cliffhanger. The majority of soap opera viewers do not tune in every day. They believe that they can skip episodes here and there without missing anything. What *does* keep them tuned in, however, is a cliffhanger. Something that makes the viewer say to themselves "wow, that was a good ending, I have to see what happens tomorrow". That is completely missing these Days, and as a result viewers are less likely to tune in the next day. Days' current ratings are evidence of that.

• Administrator

I agree. Aside from Sami overhearing that Lucas slep with Chloe, don't forget Chloe just blurting it out to Philip or Abe/Lexie finding out Theo has autism. Dena doesn't understand story beats or how to use them to create drama and suspense.

• Members

No offense, RobynIsHere, but I considered myself a loyal GL fan (1982-2004, with occasional one-day "relapses" thereafter), and I quit watching. Why? Because, the show sucked. You cannot blame PASSIONS viewers for bailing if they became frustrated with the direction of the show. That is something JER and Lisa de Cazotte have to be held accountable for alone.

• Members

I don't think so.

JER is the master of his domain. He writes great stories, and if viewers can't accept that, it is their fault! JER is the one in control, not the fans. If they don't like it, tough! They can choose not to watch, but JER has no reason to change his way of doing things for anyone. If anything, the viewers have to adapt to Reilly, and rightfully so.

Archived