GENERAL HOSPITAL: June 2008 Episode Count

jcar03

• Members

Absolutely. Anthony Geary went to bat for Jackie Zeman's contract the last round of negotiations. This time I don't think he mattered, Frons needed to pay for Sarah Brown and JZ's contract was probably a nice one, so she was the prime target.

Charleson and Ingle will both be off contract by 2010 if not sooner. JZ has tons of storyline left on GH but under Frons' ageist mandate that doesn't matter one little bit.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have just wondered if all the negative feedback that Jackie got from some fans about all her plastic surgery had anything to do with it.

Back before she got cut from contract to recurring, I would read all the time on message boards about how she couldn't act anymore due to her face not being able to move or how fans couldn't look at her cry and stuff anymore.

What was so funny some of those same fans are the ones that blasted Frons and GH when they cut her contract. Before that they would say oh please don't show her anymore - we can't look at her.

then when they cut her contract - Frons is an SOB for listening to them.

As they say TPTB are supposed to read these boards. If they did - they may have felt that Jackie was a safe choice to cut.

• Members

According to the ABC focus groups Jackie Zeman was actually one of the actors who was rated favorably, a relative anomaly on ABC who have seen their focus group ratings for actors plummet. She consistently received positive reviews which is why I think she lasted as long as she did.

Also, JZ's 'plastic surgery' is overblown. Surgically she's had her nose, eyes and chest done. That's it. The lips are courtesy of Restylane or Perlane and the face is all Botox, IPL and fillers. All reversible. I am of the opinion that JZ actually looks pretty good and with a little toning down would actually look better. The one I pity is actually Lesley Charleson who received the worst work, that is one bad facelift that woman is sporting. Anytime JZ has looked 'off' it's likely because she just had something done, she times her treatments poorly.

All in all the actresses on ABC HAVE to do whatever it takes to stay youthful, they know that ABC Daytime is a youth network so anyone over 39 and female is SOL.

I think JZ's contract was terminated because Frons had to pay for Sarah Brown and he saw his easiest fire. He couldn't can Jane Elliot or LC, Stuart Damon probably didn't make enough to cover SB's cost alone...thus the Damon/Zeman combo paid off SB nicely. I am convinced that the only reasons JZ is even on recurring is Anthony Geary. Talk about loyal, that guy looks after those who have been good to him. JZ's a smart woman though, she saved her pennies, flipped her Malibu house for nearly triple what she paid for it, does whatever work comes her way, had the sense to marry (and sadly divorce) a successful husband instead of a loser. She's fine, I just wish she was on more because she's why I watched GH and is a real talent in the old school sense.

• Members

Jackie Zeman's declining fortunes is a travesty. Of all the women who have starred on GH, it is only Jackie (and perhaps Emily McLaughlin although this is before my time) who carried dramatic material successfully for well over a decade. FH came and left, GF did the same, NLG has never been a successful lead on the show and really is glorified support, but JZ fronted so many front tier stories, she puts them all to shame. Who would have ever imagined we would see a GH without Bobbie, Alan, Monica and Felicia? I never did back when GH was in it's glory period (the 1980s). Even the 1990s, when GH enjoyed a creative (if not ratings) renaissance, JZ was still fronting the stories. They took her off, dropped the Qs, killed Tony, started featuring less charismatic and talented performers, and the rest, as they say, is history.

There is not a single front burning actor on the soap today who has ever been as enjoyable as JZ as Bobbie.

• Members

You are right about Emily McLaughin who was front burner for about 12 years. Rachel Ames was right there with her.

Then it was Leslie Charleson & Denise Alexander who held front burner story for many years straight.

I still get sick how they treated Emily, Rachel & Denise. They treated all 3 of them terribly.

GH does not have a good history with how they treat their female stars.

• Errol unpinned this topic

Archived