What Bigwigs check out SON?

• Members

Babylon 5 writer/creator J. Michael Straczynski had to pay off someone on the B5 newsgroup for posting a story idea similar to an episode already written for season 1 because he read it on that group.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They will never use ideas from onliners since we are considered a minority of their viewers. And they don't need ideas from

onliners anyways. They just need to go back into their history and history of other soaps to improve their shows.

• Members

Some EPs are on the record as saying that internet fans are a VERY VERY VERY TINY SMALL INFINTESSIMAL IRRELEVANT segment of the audience.

Thus, why should they seek out fan opinion in such a forum?

• Members

If they don't pay any attention, then why waste the time to read things?

Brad Bell used to ask broad questions at the B&B board. Like what character do you want to return and why. None of the things asked affected the immediate future but I suppose they were a way to see what the consensus was.

I think the problem with the internet and fans is shown in the ratings demos. The Bell soaps pull in a much older, and probably less internet savvy audience than the ABC soaps.

• Members

I'll bet they get data overnight, and weekly, and periodically. I don't think they need the SON ratings section because I'll bet they get MOTHERLODE delicious data directly from Mr. A.C. himself!

• Members

Of course... They're all Nielsen data subscribers: they get the overnights, full demographics (Hispanics, African Americans, income subgroups...), special reports, analysis and predictions etc. What you want, Nielsen can get it for you. You need to pay, though. :D

• Members

Sylph, you crack me up. You remind me of that kid at a birthday party with a pin who runs around popping all the balloons. You keep us grounded.

Ron Carlivati actually responded to a question in an interview recently (I wish I could remember exactly where I saw it, but alas No!) about the message boards and he admitted that he does read them selectively and that there are certain posters "whose opinions he respects" but he doesn't really factor those opinions into his writing. I thought at the time that SON would likely be one of those boards. I've found the posters here to have well considered opinions and they express themselves objectively and intelligently.

• Members

I think I read somewhere that they can't read blogs because if your story ends up on TV, you can sue them. Because you should be the one credited with the idea, especially if it is an original, brand new idea.

Archived