Former ATWT and GL EP Robert Calhoun has died

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

TVWeek:

TV producer Robert Calhoun died May 24 in New York from lung cancer,
Daily Variety
reports. Calhoun was a producer on “As the World Turns,” “Guiding Light” and “Texas,” earning five Emmy nominations and a win in 1987 for “As the World Turns,” the newspaper notes. He was 77.

• Members

Variety:

Robert Calhoun, who won a 1987 Daytime Emmy Award for producing "As the World Turns" and was nominated for five more Emmys, died of lung cancer in New York on May 24. He was 77.

Calhoun was the executive producer of "As the World Turns" when the show was named the outstanding drama series for 1987 at the Daytime Emmy Awards. The show was also nommed in 1986, 1988 and 1989.

"As the World Turns," rose to first place in the ratings under Calhoun's guidance. He subsequently moved to "Guiding Light," where he and that show were Emmy nommed in 1990 and 1991. He also received two noms while working on "Another World," in 1979 and 1980.

In the early 1980s, he worked as a producer on "Texas."

Calhoun's work over the years ranged from helping to launch the Mark Taper Forum in Los Angeles to translating Italian film scripts into English while working in Italy in the early 1970s.

Calhoun was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. He graduated from the U. of Maryland, after serving three years in the U.S. Navy. His early work in the theater included a stint as production supervisor for Eva Le Gallienne's National Repertory Theater, during productions of Arthur Miller's "The Crucible" and Anton Chekhov's "The Seagull," where he met his lifelong partner, the actor Farley Granger, in 1963.

Calhoun subsequently moved to Southern California, where he worked on early productions at the Mark Taper Forum. In 1970, Calhoun moved to Italy with Granger, and spent several years living in Rome. He went back in the mid-1970s to Southern California and the Mark Taper, where he directed plays for the New Theater for Now program.

After a few years, he returned to New York to work in daytime television.

Calhoun was co-author of Granger's memoir, "Include Me Out," which was published in 2007.

He is survived by Granger, two brothers and a sister.

• Members

I never saw his work on GL, but I'm currently watching his ATWT and he was amazing on that show. Something interesting I just noticed is that Bob and Kim's unforgettable wedding was before Douglas Marland joined the show. I can't wait to get to Marland's episodes and see what he dumps and what he improves upon. Honestly, I always thought that Sierra as Lucinda's daughter and Bob & Kim's wedding was all him. Even dumping the McKoll family was pre-Marland.

Does anyone know when exactly Calhoun worked on GL and ATWT?

• Members

Bob and Kim's wedding was when the actress playing Nancy had left the show cuz she said theyw ere focusing too much on the young characters, wasn't it? She came back for the wedding and then Marland came in and convinced her to stay... I think

Regardless--RIP. I didn't realize he was Farley Granger's significant other.

• Members

In fact, Helen Wagner (Nancy) and Don MacLaughlin (Chris) left in 1981 when Mary-Ellis Bunim joined as executive producer fall 1981. They walked away from the show and came back for Bob & Kim's wedding in 1985. They were convinced to stay but unfortunately, MacLaughlin passed away just after the 30th Anniversary.

Calhoun replaced Bunim as EP in October 1984 and remained until October 1988 (he was then replaced by Laurence Hugo). He moved to Guiding Light fall 1988 where he replaced Joe Wilmore and was in charge of the show until Jill Farren Phelps took over in 1991.

• Members

Helen Wagner left in 1980,shortly after the Dobsons became head writers. I think Fred Bartholomew was still EP at that time.

She had been unhappy about Nancy's diminishing role in the show and was disappointed that in Jan 80,Nancy made no appearances.(I think this was the first time this had happened)

Don McGlaughlin stayed on and at some point went recurring.I remember that when Miranda's daughter Bilan came on the show,Chris allowed her to stay in the Hughes house.This was in 82 I think.

Lawrence Caso was the EP.Lawrence Hugo played Mike Karr on TEON.

Archived