Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

OK, I am blanking... Who's Minnie? ph34r.png Randomly the background music is the Stock/Aitken/Waterman produced version of Don't Make Me Over sung by Sybil--a big UK success, but I don't think it was even released in the US... Odd (though at least they're playing real music, unlike nowadays when they can't afford it).

The more clips of Chip as Curtis, the more i like him in the role. Far from brilliant, these clips from when Millee Taggert and Tom King (I believe) were HW are much more appealing than the corporate mess the show seemed to be under Ralph Ellis in the previous regime--not sure who was EP then, since it changed so much--if it was Joseph Stuart or Mary Ellis-Bunim. I always found it odd that after *so* many recasts, the original Curtis returned in the last year (or just before--as Dante's "pet").

• Members

Ah OK, I've seen her in the earlier clips then. I know(and love) Opal... I mean Egypt mainly from her 90s return.

I've heard Agnes was often involved in story at Loving--especially around 88-89 (when people felt AMC was starting to be neglected leading to its overhaul with Behr), and I admit I find it fascinating and oddly appealing how so many of her ideas seemed to be a desire to go back to older AMC--while many would see that as a flaw.

• Members

Thanks. I didn't know who was singing that.

Chip seems a little rough around the edges for Curtis but there's a lot of good in there, especially when he's with Ava. Over time I think he has also developed a sweet chemistry with Rena Sofer. I never even knew Rocky was with Curtis until recently.

Minnie and Egypt were both very popular with viewers. There weren't a lot of characters like Minnie on most soaps, unless they were stuck in servant roles.

• Members

She's the first contract black role that I remember, though someone may be escaping my memory at the moment. Not until Angie and Frankie (and Pat) showed up do I remember more, i.e., Charles, Jacob, Lorraine, the model Frankie dated...

• Members

Right--I guess I meant more of a character, though I've only seen one clip of him but I guess the soldier stuck around for a while--in terms of hauntings...

Agnes did want Carla and Saddie to move from OLTL when they were let go, to Loving (so I guess by 1986 or so)--I understand why Hall felt it beneath her, but maybe this was some recognition that the show needed more diversity.

• Members

I had never heard that Ms. Nixon wanted both Lillian Hayman and Ellen Holly on the show. I did know that the role of Minnie was offered to Lillian Hayman, but she had declined.

Resembling All My Children was not a flaw.

I, too, thought that it was odd that the role of Curtis kept being recast and that the original Curtis returned to the show later.

I liked the show a lot when Ralph Ellis was writing it. I especially enjoyed Luke Perry. I did think that the role that Matthew Cowles (Eban Japes) was too similar to Billy Clyde Tuggle - or, at least, his interpretation of the role.

• Members

No offense to Miss Hayman, but I'm glad that this actress got the chance to play Minnie. She and Egypt and their relationship really stood out (at least to me as a kid while my mother watched), they were the kind of characters who deserved more recognition that just never was going to happen being on Loving.