2 hour (!) Video Interview with Agnes Nixon online

• Members

AH I need to track down that Canary one! I have some of the Devon storyline on video tape--and it's really still, even though it was quickly aborted, well handled especially for the time.

One thing I appreciate in the AGnes interview is when she mentions how spiritual and even religious she is but what that means to her--it's the kinda faith that even with my own personal problems with many religious institutions I can gladly get behind.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Interesting interview. Agnes seems like a real treat. I find it interesting that she states that publicity leads to storylines wagging their tales to the audience, she's basically summed up Brian Frons.

I too don't see any bias against Bill Bell. He and Agnes were friends were they not?

• Members

I've looked it up and indeed, Nixon pioneered plastic surgery in soaps when Margo Flax Martin (played by Eileen Letchworth) had a facelift in 1974 in order to impress the somewhat younger Paul Martin (played by William Mooney)...the only thing is though I don't the Kay Chancellor Facelift story was groundbreaking because she had one but instead because they showed the actual operating room footage and Jeanne right after surgery.

In Bill Bell's own interview he described Nixon as "a great lady". When the name John Conboy was brought up Bill said "sometimes it's nicer not to say anything right?" so I think he meant what he said about Nixon.

I would think they were competitive, but friendly, he was West Coast and she was East Coast.

• Members

They worked together on ATWT. In All Her Children, as I've mentioned, from 1976 Agnes mentions how different their styles are so when someone (I think her own daughter) suggested to the author that he was using a story she just did (maybe the plastic surgery one?) she said they'd have very different tones and it wasn't copying, etc. It seemed pretty clear.

And Jonathan I guess I got all your love. HA!

;) kidding--I wish I had seen your post--I'm fascinated/in love with these videos

• Members

Finally listened to it all. I love that she remembers somany actors, stories, from the 1950s on Guiding Light all the way to the Michael Delaney gay storyline in 1997 (and she makes it sound like some story points in that were very much her idea which is interesting).

Also mentions that early 80s Pierce Brosnan mini series she did (Manions of America) that I always intended to try to find--anyone seen it?

• Members

Also I think it was done in 1997 or 98 --she mentions the Michael Delaney storyline and says the tornado story was "2 years ago" and they briefly cover her (sadly too brief) executive consultant at ABC daytime role. It's also sad to hear her talk about how consistant AMC has been with her guiding the writing in *some* way or another since the start when this was right around when she stopped doing that nearly as strongly (even though I knwo she still is somewhat kinda present--and of course wrote a big chunk of 99-2000 on her own and then with Page and Passanante)

• Members

What's that look for abotu Another World? did you watch the interview? LOL She names off a couple of stories that were big in the era and says the humour she brought to the show made it popular too.

I wish Agnes had been asked more about her involvement on One Life to Live. I know many OLTL fans feel she "Abandoned" them which I always find ridiculous but in this interview it is made clear that she's very close with Erika Slezak (who joined the show in '73 when her company was still producing but she wasn't writing) and she seems VERY aware of all the later and more recent storylines... I know in one interview I have Malone mentions that Agnes helped him a lot with history and stuff ehn he joined OLTL... as well as considering the main 70s HW Gordon Russell a "dear dear friend" and someone she seemed muchcloser to than many of the other names asked about.

I just wanna know specifics (she does seem tightlipped about her brief questions re Loving and Doug Marland which makes me think, since when she has something bad to say she just doens't say it it seems, that there was something more to it... though then later talking about the man outside of the show she has only kind things to say) Since this seemed to be 1997 as well I woulda liked to have heard how involved with The City she actually was... When they bring up Barabra Esensten's name she seems taken aback when asked if she worke diwth her on co-creating it and then says "well uhh yes I supposeyou could say..."

ANYWAY--if wishes were horses :P great interview I still say :)

*goes off to watch the Bill bell one to compare for Sylph* :P

E

Archived