McTavish to Y&R

• Members

Have you seen AMC under the tenure of B & E? Even with Megan we never had ratings lower then a 2.4 and even at that point we never went lower or stayed at our low for multiple weeks. Even at Megan's worst we were able to rebound back to a 2.5 after a maximum of three weeks at 2.4 and we even got bumps in veiwers threw out her tenure. We were many times no. 2 or in the top 4 various times in 2004, 05, 06 and 07. Even with the Satin Slayer story we atleast had a 2.6 compare this to now where AMC is scrapping bottom and is reaching lows of 1.9 and ABC must be crying for Megan to come back...

Even at her worst Megan never managed to send this soap down a spiral known as the 1.0's. B and E did that all on thier own with the Ryannie/Zendell hours. These are currently the worst ratings of AMC's history. I have never seen numbers as dismal as those. It's down right pathetic.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I must be honest, I stopped watching AMC in mid 2005, I just lost that lovin feeling for the show. I hated the bolstering of Camerson Mathison and I didn't like McTavish's return and I can't even imagine how B&E are worse and yet, it seems that they are.

Essentially, I don't want a 'new' headwriter at Y&R. I want the time tested, Bill Bell trained gold standard: Kay Alden.

• Members

It's pretty much off topic but it shows how much SONY is steering with Y&R these days and anxious to milk the cash cow after years of just looking on...

Apparently Y&R will return to German screens (the largest TV market in Europe...) come next March thanks to SONY who's supervising/paying dubbing. Usually broadcast rights are sold in package deals and the licensee/destributor is dealing with dubbing. Now SONY is said to want to sell a ready-to-air Y&R to Germany's B&B network which is currently airing two episodes in a row and just 12 months behind US showings as a replacement for one of these episodes, hence cutting one Y&R episode in half... We'll see whether this is true and if other countries soon follow. Keep in mind that B&B is in its luxurious position of independence and solid budget also due to its mega-success worldwide.

• Members

It seems that Sony is trying to follow the success of B&B overseas by saturating the European market with ready to air Y&R. B&B makes an absolute fortune overseas and Sony merely wants to follow suit and cash in. I don't see this as a bad thing because it will make Y&R more financially attractive to Sony (not that it isn't already) making its position that much more secure. Sony will work harder and longer to fix Y&R because it is worth more to them than say one of the ABC soaps which don't pack the same financial punch that a Bell soap does. It is also interesting that since Y&R is 12 months behind in Germany that by switching to ready to air the German audience might actually skip over all of LML's solo run....I wonder why.....

• Members

Have to add that nothing is settled so far: broadcast right are not sold yet. And German audiences might not be spared LML's loonyville because for a simple reason: a B&B tie, meaning Kimberlin Brown's return to Y&R as a likely starting point...

I'm really interested in how this plays out. Except for France, Y&R isn't anywhere as successful in Europe like B&B. Even the countries where it is shown it seems to be schedule stepchild. I recall that in Switzerland Y&R always gets ditched for a Xmas and summer break of one or two weeks and is replaced by reruns of primetime or movies.

Ad if the 'old' Y&R wasn't a success, how can the new and chittychittybangbang Y&R be???

Archived