JFP celebrates 10 years as executive producer for ABC

• Members

I do agree that if JFP stays the hell away from the writing and concentrates only on production, she has the potential to be the best EP on soaps. However, she'll never learn from her mistakes, no matter how much power Frons has over her.

Did anyone watch SoapNet's Brenda, Brenda, Brenda event today? One episode aired was from the Wendy Riche/Guza era, the other was from the JFP/Guza era. Even though they both had focus on Brenda and Sonny, they were worlds apart in terms of creative vision. Riche inserted a lot more heart, sense of community, humor, and love into her creative vision and production. JFP's episode is a lot more darker and isolated. Guza and JFP share their dark vision, Riche and Guza hated one another and were like oil and water, according to Patrick Mulcahey.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What did you hate about it? Frankie being murdered (JFP's choice)? The way she was murdered (DePriest's choice)?

:rolleyes:

JFP's successors (Rauch, Conboy, Wheeler) have proven to be far worse than her. When JFP left in 1995, the show was much better than GL's recent years.

Oh boy! This kind of statement makes people's blood boil. :lol: Even a person like Slezak, who many adore, likes JFP. Like 3LW once sang "Haters are gonna hate"

• Members

For one; that she even let something like that air on daytime. Yes the HW had a major part in it, but something should have went off in her mind and said "Hey, I think this going a little too far here." Instead she didn't and we the veiwers were subjected to the brutal murder of a character many fans held close to their hearts.

:rolleyes: Back at ya.

It doesn't really excuse what she did to the show or it's core back then. I think if there is one EP who is responsible for the upswing of both ATWT and GL in the 90s it's Robert Calhoun, JFP's predecessor.

Listen I don't hate JFP's tenure on GL entirely, it's the last time the show was truly itself, but I am saying as much as she improved show and made it a force to be wreckoned with, she also hurt it.

• Members

JFP's tenure on GL was majorly saved by Nancy Curlee and her writing team. Could you imagine had Curlee not been there, the show we would've had?

Patrick Mulcahey put it best in his recent interview when he said, "Nancy Curlee’s a magnificent, meticulous writer. One of the things that’s wrong with daytime TV now is that she’s not in it."

Come back to daytime Nancy! We miss you! :(

• Members

No one is trying to not give Jill the credit she deserves. The woman has had a storied career and no one can take away from her that she does have talent.

However....there are many things that have happened between her and actors that have turned MANY people off to her, and I don't blame them. Many soap fans are actor fans, and when someone does something mean to their favorite actor, it sometimes makes them dislike that person.

It's no secret the reason that Sarah Brown left GH is because of JFP. They disagreed about the direction Carly among other things.

The thing w/ Genie? Why shouldn't a woman who has worked her ass off just as long as Tony Geary not get the same amount of respect as him? If Tony gets to disappear for months at a time, then I don't see why that luxury can't be awarded to Genie as well. On top of that, no one deserves to have someone walk up to them, open up their jacket and ridicule them about their weight. JFP ain't a size 4 you know.....

Then you have her "FOJ" run over at OLTL. Casting her friends and favorites in roles that bombed. Getting rid of a fan favorite like Laura Kauffman after the woman went on maternity leave. That seems to be a pattern Jill follows.

Leslie Kay anyone? Lesli stated on her official message board that Jill Farren Phelps said to her, "If you think GH is your place to shine, it never will be" and after days of announcing her pregnancy announced that the fate of Lesli's character was "In god's hands."

Let's not forget the pregnancies of Rebecca Herbst and Robin Christopher. An actress' pregnancy pretty much means automatic backburner during that time. Because god forbid a pregnant woman work.....

People have the right to dislike Jill, just like people have the right to like her. I happen to think the woman is the devil. A very talented devil, but a devil none the less.

• Members

No there's a difference between stating your opinion and coming off like you did. You make it seem as if a pregnant woman can't do her job and care for her upcoming child as well. That is what got from reading your post.

No one disagrees that the child should come first, but women have been working while pregnant and taking care of themselves and their children for hundreds of years.

• Members

<<On top of that, no one deserves to have someone walk up to them, open up their jacket and ridicule them about their weight. JFP ain't a size 4 you know.....>>

Um, you may want to get your facts straight. That happened before Jill was EP of GH.

Amazing how the internet skews FACTS.

• Members

I would prefer that the "pregnant thespians" in question make their own choice of how much time to take; within certain guidelines, of course. And I seriously doubt JFP's actions were motivated by concern for these women's children.

• Members

Do you not believe that JFP has a heart? All TV EPs have bosses, so she does a lot of things that her bosses tell her to do. Do you think she really wanted to kill off Dr. Alan Quartermaine? I think the decision came from higher up. Also, everybody except Frons wants Francis to return to GH.

Once a thespian becomes pregnant, the next five years of her life will be the most crucial for her and the child. Do you want her to focus more time on leading ("Emmy winning") material than her child?

Archived