JFP celebrates 10 years as executive producer for ABC

• Members

JFP started at ABC daytime as a consultant in 1997 and rumors were she was headed to AMC. Although she was named executive producer of OLTL in December 1997 and remained with OLTL until about January 2001. Her OLTL tenure was so hated as she brought her friends, used music montages galore, had Nora sleep with Sam, Dorian was a baby killer and Viki was Blondie. Then she moved over to GH and has been there ever since. Hard to believe this woman has had a job for 10 years at ABC daytime. How would you rate he tenure on OLTL and GH? Which was worse? JFP is known as a really calucating biatch. I heard you get on Jill's bad side she is the biggest bitch you have encountered. What type of person do you think JFP is?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't know about OLTL, but it makes sense with GH. 2001 was the beginning of the end for me with GH. I never entertained not caring, but I would go months/years even w/o watching it, and now I know why.

And, now I can't watch it at all.

• Members

Well this is a board where people can post their opinions; praise or otherwise. :rolleyes:

I will never forgive JFP for allowing that sh!t we saw on our screens when Frankie was murdered. Talk about traumatizing! I watched it and I wasn't even in the 5th grade yet!

Also I won't forgive her for killing off the character of Maureen Bauer on GL. Yes it did have wonderful writing (on the part of the current writing team only), but it would have long lasting affects on the show.

• Members

Jill Farren Phelps is an incredible woman. You'd have to work with her to really 'get' her. To this day, many years after leaving OLTL, the star of that show Erika Slezak says wonderful things about JFP. I've met her and I like her alot.

Say what you want - she has been an Executive Producer on soaps for over 20 years. I think she's a brilliant woman.

• Members

Strange enough, Robin Strasser is the total opposite and HATES JFP. The only reason she left OLTL in 2000 was out of differences with JFP - which seems to be a common theme with her and female stars. Let's see, Beverlee McKinsey, Robin Strasser, Sarah Brown, and Genie Francis have all had major disagreements with JFP, resulting in them leaving their respective shows.

JFP has her favorites, and others can go to hell for all she cares.

• Members

I'll give JFP credit though, she's a master at block voting and getting Emmy wins and nominations. If it weren't for her, the actors on SB, GL, and AW would've never been rewarded their deserved Emmy's in the 90's. I'll forever be grateful to her for helping Michael Zaslow earn his only Emmy in 1994, particularly.

Charles Keating and Anna Holbrook would've never won Emmy's for AW had JFP not been there, because AW was virtually always shut-out in the 90's, prior to JFP.

If you want an Emmy and you want your show to win an Emmy, just hire JFP. She should've gone to Days in the 90's, maybe then would the show actually win Emmy's. :lol:

• Members

LOL too funny. Yes since her run on GH, a lot of the GH actors have gotten Emmy wins (Jacob Young, Maurice Benard, Vanessa Marcil, Rick Hearst, Chad Brannon, Tony Geary, Natalia Livingston, and Genie Francis)....but I would rather have a well written and produced show than have it suffer just to get Emmy wins :)

• Members

JFP is an amazing at production.

I will give her credit there. AW, OLTL, and the first few years of GH all looked better under her regime. But, what JFP has against her and has always had against her is that she controls the writing WAY too much on her shows and you can totally tell.

• Members

Say what you want about her, JFP didn't impress on OLTL. She broke up most if not all of the good couples, ruined the characters, forced way too many of her friends on the show and I agree, she controlled the writing WAY too much and ruined several really really good story lines.

• Members

I'll give Jill Farren Phelps her due: the lady has some of the best taste in sets, lighting, music and costuming in daytime. She made SB (already a nice looking show), GL, AW, OLTL and GH (in it's first years under her) look fabulous. I'll always be thankful that she spruced up AW in it's last years...NBC may not have given a damn but it appeared that Jill did.

I'll also give Jill her due for her Emmy smarts...she pioneered bloc voting.

That being said, I don't like how she manages the writing like a psychopath, how she takes care of her favorites exclusively and how poorly she treats those who she doesn't particularly like (Robin Strasser, Genie Francis and Jackie Zeman come to mind). I also have heard through the years that she is, simply put, a shrill b---h.

I feel a bit of sympathy for her though, she's been totally overtaken by Frons and she must not have any control. So here's to you Jill, if I wasn't so terrified of what you'd do to Y&R I'd wish you take over from LML.

Archived